Snowmobile World banner

"79" Enticer 250 strange carb issue(or maybe not!)

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  79ex440 
#1 ·
79" Enticer 250 doing strange things. Picked it up as a project sled, excellant condition, low miles. Would not idle, without thumbing the throttle. Figured a carb rebuild was in order. Ordered a kit from GenuineNOS, cleaned carb, while reassembling noticed gaskets did not quite line up with ALL ports in various places. Re-used original gaskets, as they were OK. After getting the sled back together, gave it a pull or two, and it immediately went WOT, would not idle down at all. Shut it down, checked choke and throttle, all operable. Started it back up, immediately went WOT again. Began the tedious process of carb disassembley again. As I had an old original ET250 as a parts sled, I disassembled the carb on that sled, and proceeded to rebuild the new(to me) one while using the parts one as a pattern. Got it all back together again, started up, and immediately went WOT again! Took out the choke plunger, backed fuel level adjustment out to almost falling out, checked butterfly and throttle cable(OK). Started up again, same thing!!!!! I am totally confused, and am about ready to ditch the Keihin for a new Mikuni round slide. Hate to do it, as I would like to keep the sled original, as well as keeping the oil injection. Can't seem to find any expertise around with these old carbs, and cannot even find a manual that matches the Yamaha -specific Keihin that was used on this sled. Any one got an idea?????? Thanks in advance.......

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
no idle carb apperas to be good check for vacuume leak

If a snowmobile engine is started up and not allowed to warm up and you tear off on it thers a pretty good chance one the crankshaft seals is bad, the bad seal makes the engine run lean and you need to throttle it up to keep it running.
the other main cause is just as common the carburator mounting boot may have a weather checked/craced (vacuume leak)
I'd suggest a overhaul, especially a 2-cycle of that age, new crank seals and hone it and new set of rings.

#3 ·
I have the same problem w my 79 exciter 440, id try the carb mounting flange... mine is weathercracked, and acts very boggy when i try to take off.... i priced one for mine and its pretty pricey@ $62. seeing that yours is an enticer 250, it might be cheaper on Ebay.... hope this helps good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.