Snowmobile World banner

2010 Yamaha RS Vector Gt

12K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  YamahaFan 
#1 ·
I would like to complete the summer storage of my sled but cannot see or without taking the sled apart get to the spark plugs. The manual recommends removing the plugs and putting a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over.
For the life of me....I cannot figure out how to get to the plugs.
If I can see them.....maybe I can start from there.

Thanks for any help. :blush:

#2 ·
There is an inspection cover between handle bar pole and the guages. should have 2 allen head screws with that the key switch should come up to. Be cateful the allen screws are 1/4 turn to unlock. When the panel is removed you should be able to get at the plugs. Yamaha does some things that cause you to scratch your haed but when you figure them out you go OK makes sense. Good luck.

#3 ·
A friend of mine has an '06 Attack and a '08 Nytro. His comment is that you can't do anything without taking off a lot of plastic. He has done it often enough that he can remove all the plastic (including the gauge pod) in about 3 min while blindfolded! :wink:

Good Luck!
dave

#5 ·
Had a go at it this past weekend. :cussing:

I removed the cable guide bracket...then with care as suggested, turned the cover bolts 1/4 turn....(good advice :tounge:).
Ok...removed the cover...wow...talk about wires..unplugged the ignition cable...but to no avail. Still couldn't reach the spark plugs. It was hardly seen, accesss is hard...plastic overflow containers in the way along with wires and cables.

I gave up....:cussing: replaced everything and went to :sleeping:

Won't give it another try....will have to be stored without oil in the cylinders...:yin-yang:

Hey..but I installed the new Super Clamp II to tie down the ski's :thumbs-up:

#7 ·
Did you take off the gauge pod? I think my friend takes off ALL of the plastic when he has something serious to do. I think he has ended up replacing most of the cover bolts (some many times over) as they break easily.

Can you pick up a shop manual for it? I did for my doo. At $125 it was spendy but I saved WAY more than that the first time I didn't have to take it into a dealer...

dave

PS - here is mine while I was replacing the 's-module' after an encounter with a frozen log and you can see my friend's '06 Attack in the background. He was fixing a broken rear suspension and replacing all of his steering linkages. :tongue:

#8 ·
wow.....summer is really nice to work on your sled :) I hope I don't have to change a fouled plug in the winter on the trail, out in the boonies, 100 miles from my trailer (knock wood).
When all is said .... I had a Plymouth Sundance for 18 yrs without changing plugs or the air filter (I know..I know...I'm bad), but now I have an SUV and I can't believe how fussy I became with it.
Someday....a long summer day with beer in abundance.....I'll maybe give it a go again.
I'll look for and order a shop manual (makes sense) so that I can repair things myself.

Thanks for the advice.
Cheers.

#9 ·
That picture was actually spring - mid-April 2010 if I remember correctly. I waited until the riding season was over to tear it apart, fix it and put it to bed. That way I had all summer to fix it if things went horribly wrong!

Having a buddy with a heated garage and a full set of tools makes working on the sled pretty nice any time of the year.

4-stroke sleds don't foul plugs. Fouling happens from burning oil - if your 4-stroke is burning enough oil to foul the plugs you have bigger problems to worry about than how to put new plugs in! My friend's 06 Attack has over 13,000 miles on it and his Nytro has over 9,000 miles - no fouled plugs at all. Come to think of it - I have over 4,000 miles on my 600sdi and I haven't fouled a plug either.

Good Luck!
dave

#10 ·
4-stroke sleds don't foul plugs. Fouling happens from burning oil - if your 4-stroke is burning enough oil to foul the plugs you have bigger problems to worry about than how to put new plugs in! My friend's 06 Attack has over 13,000 miles on it and his Nytro has over 9,000 miles - no fouled plugs at all. Come to think of it - I have over 4,000 miles on my 600sdi and I haven't fouled a plug either.

Good Luck!
dave

That's convenient :mellow:. I never knew that haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.