Snowmobile World banner

Overheating problem

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Tarkus 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Yamaha Phazer Mtn lite. This last weekend I went ice fishing (it was warm out) and was pulling a small sleigh (almost no weight) Because of the snow drifts on the lake, I had to drive at 20 to 25 MPH or the sleigh would tip over. After a short time, the overheating light came on. I turned off the machine and pulled of the cowling. I had plenty of coolant. I started it up again, and the overheating light was still on, but the fan behind the rad was not turning. I turned it off and let it sit for a while, started it up, and everything was OK. I started to drive again and the same thing happened again. After it cooled down the second time, I unhooked the sleigh and let her rip almost wide open for 5 or 10 minutes. It never overheated. I pulled off the cowl and the fan was going this time.

My thoughts are a sensor that turns on the fan, or the fan itself has gone bad. How can I test to find out which it is? Is it easy to do? Expensive?

Thanks

#2 ·
How hard was the snow?

Snowmobiles get most of their cooling from snow thrown on heat exchangers. Yammis have small radiators as well to help out but I think they usually have coolers under the running boards. When the engine gets hot you should be able to throw snow on the running boards to help cool it down faster - some people pack snow on the running boards in low-snow (or hard snow/ice ) conditions to help keep it cool. I haven't seen a phaser, but this is how my friend's '99 700 and '06 Attack work.

If there was plenty of snow but you were going slow enough that it wasn't throwing snow onto the exchangers you could also have problems. If you were running on hardpack or ice you may also want to check your slides. My friend burned out a brand new set of hyfax in 80 miles with his '08 Nytro mtx running on hard icy spring snow.

dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.