Snowmobile World banner

Vector-rust on front suspension arms...

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dlaine 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2005 Yamaha Vector- it is my first sled. I can handle myself in the mechanical department, but I noticed that there is some surface rust on the front suspension control arms...
Is there something I can do about this? Is this somewhat normal?
Any info is appreciated!

Cheers!

#3 ·
Thanks for the response Dave...I showed my good friend the pics I took and he said it is just my OCD kicking in...lol
Do you know if Yamaha puts out a metallic silver paint? I was thinking I would check the Tremclad colour scheme too....
I am planning on taking a dremel tool to it and cleaning it up first...
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond...
have a good one!
Justin

#4 ·
Any good quality paint made for metal should do just fine. It is just steel - nothing special. Get it cleaned up good (no touching / oil from fingers before you paint), get a good primer on and paint it up. On the cheap end you can go with a can of Rustoleum all the way up to an automotive paint or powder coating.

Just remember the arms are way out in front of the sled - they take a lot of abuse and you want a tough paint. Just me, but I think a bad paint job looks worse than the original paint with a few nicks and some rust. I am more of 'worry how it runs, not how it looks' kind of guy... :)

Good luck and post some pics of what you do!
dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.