Snowmobile World banner

yamaha phazar problems

21K views 40 replies 5 participants last post by  mliedel 
#1 · (Edited)
hello i have a 87 yamaha phazar that i think is running on one cylinder becuase when i pull the spark plugs out one is wet and one is dry. i tryed cleaning the carbs did not help could it be the coil any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

#2 · (Edited)
yamaha phazer problems

ok i checked comperssion and 120 psi in both cylinders and both getting good spark and when i took it for a spin it only went about 45 mph so you know something not right. and when i had the gas all the way down the rpms were about 5000. and after i rod around for a while it backfired and stalled gas was low i put a little more gas in got it started everytime i went to hit the gas it bogged then it went a couple yards and stalled again what does this problem sound like please help going snowmobileing this weekend. also seems to leak oil gas mixture from cylinder gaskets mostly the one side that the plug is dry. could have anything to do with this. thanks

#6 ·
I never thought, the choke adjustment could be out of adjustment. There should be about 2 mils play when you lift the cable up and down on both of the carbs. If the choke puck is to high it will keep letting fuel in which could be why the one plug is wet.

#9 ·
I do not know what you use for plugs, my friends and I use to use NGK BR9EV because we had less problems with plugs. I have seen plugs that have spark not work when installed (some were new BR9HS). The plug cap could be old and sparking to the motor. Start the motor when it's dark and you will see the spark jumping from the cap from the motor, if this is the case. 1 wet side is usually to much fuel or lack of spark. It could also be the plug wire. Swap your plugs and if the same side is still wet it's not your plugs. Check your choke pucks to make sure they are the same ( someone previous my have lost one and replaced it with the wrong one). Make sure your electrical connections are tight. I'll ask my friends for more ideas. I hope this works GOOD LUCK

#10 ·
iam running BR8HS PLUGS but i realized that BR9HS is whats recommed for this phazer so i was going to put two new BR9HS plugs in. should i go with this and i just bought a 99 polaris that does not smoke no were nere what this phazer does i mean it gets worst when i hould the throttle and at this point it struggles just trying to get going. the smoke seems to be a dark color. its been smoking really bad for at least 3 or 4 years.

#13 ·
The phazer will probably smoke until it is running properly. The polaris clean carbs, check choke setting, check oil injection setting, if it is running synthetic oil, I believe it is thinner, so you may have to adjust for that. I do not know how to adjust for synthetic. I use regular oil. I'll look for the oil injection setting for the phazer.

#16 ·
last time i rod the phazer it acted like it was starving for fuel and died right in front of my barn and so i put new gaskets on becuase the other ones were leaking so when i got this thing back together today i tryed to start it and its not getting fuel has enough gas in the fuel tank to start i dont even want to work on this peice of crap any longer. could it be the fuel pump.

#17 ·
What gaskets? Check compression, check spark, if it is good then put some gas down the cylinder and make sure it runs. Clean the carb and look for water drops. Someone may have removed the gas filter from the tank. Make sure the gas line in the tank reaches the bottom of the tank. Check your pulser line for holes from the case to the pump and make sure they are clamped. Check your fuel lines and make sure all your lines are clamped. If it is water, gas line antifreeze works good and add some oil to the fuel for extra lube. If there is no filter you will have to add one.

#25 ·
I know it's got compression I have a tester and were about 120 psi why would it be a fuel problem as I was saying the cylinder that doesn't seen to be fireing all the time the sparkplug on that one gets wet and the other seems brown and dry and when I pull the plug when the engine is warm smoke comes out of the cylinder hole

#26 ·
The piston is below the exhaust port so the exhaust is coming from the pipe. The side that is wet check the choke adjustment on that carb to make sure it is set properly. Try swapping the plugs to see if it is the plug. After that start the sled in a dark area to see if spark is jumping from the cap to the head the caps do ware out and you can easily see this when it starts arcing. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.