Snowmobile World banner

1992 Venture backfiring

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mmsrx 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 Yamaha Venture 480 That backfires out the exhaust like crazy under acceleration and won't rev up. cleaned carbs twice and adjusted the chock cables and oil injection cable and by passed the throttle safty switch. I was wondering if there was a way to bypass all ignition switches to make sure it's not the key switch/kill switch. Or If I can just unplug the engine from the main wiring harness or will I have to jusm the kill swich/ ignition switch wires. If anyone knows the ignition coil resistance for the internal coils and external coils as well that would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
backfire

Just wanted to let everyone know my problem was a mouse nest in the exhaust. I built a big fire set the exhaust in the fire let it get cherry red. Pulled it out very carfully with a stick let it cool naturally and shook the exhaust till all the burnt nest came out and it runs like new now. Just figured I'd post this incase anyone else has a mind boogling backfire on any sled.

#3 ·
plug exhaust during summer

I just figured I'd throw this out there. It's a good idea during summer months toplug off the exhaust during the summer months to avoid this. My plan is a automotive rubber adjustable frost plug to put in the stinger end of the pipe. Hope this helps someone else in the future.:rolleyes2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.