Snowmobile World banner

1996 Yamaha vmax 600

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mmsrx 
G
#1 ·
Hi I am currently working on a 96 vmax 600 and it seems to be burning the belts, I am familiar with ski doo clutches, and cleaning. My question is why the belt would slip so much and how do you take apart the primary and secondary to clean them properly?

Any help would be appreciated,
Bob

#2 ·
welcome to the forum my exciter 570 did it all the time do u have a yamaha clutch puller if not it can be done on sled for starters u can spray some brake cleaner on prymary spring and on inner-outer sheave i use a green scrubby on sheaves then use aircompressor to blow everything out

G
#3 ·
Thanks scrammy650.......yes I have the puller. When I pulled it apart the spring looked fine, not sure on getting the "spider" off tho as it looks like i need special tools, but do you think its just the primary? the sheaves were very dirty I have never had to scrub a sheave so much to clean it.

#4 ·
The secondary is similar to a skidoo. Pull the belt off remove the bolt and there is a C clip on the back side of the helix to remove with a lot less presure from the spring. Clean it, the presure for the sleeves to slide is about 20 lbs. If your chewing belts then it could be a motor alignment problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.