Snowmobile World banner

anybody ride a stock nytro

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  wigman1 
#1 ·
Currently ride an 2009 M1000 and moded 1998 SRX for back up, which is still quite competive (won't beat the m1000 but will still beat a few stock 800xp's).

For reliability concerns was hoping to purchase a 2012 Nytro-162. Are there any non-turbo mods that will make this sled competive (for an old-timer).

See less See more
#2 ·
No - it is too heavy.

I spent a week in ID this year on my friend's '08 Nytro MTX. He has heavily modded it - done just about everything BUT a turbo. Timbersled rear, fox floats up front, removed stock muffler (replaced with can off of a bike), etc. He has dropped about 80 lbs from stock and it is still just heavy. Honestly I had more fun when he let me use his '98 Yammi 700 that he stretched to 144 (tellingly, this is what HE was riding while I had the '08 Nytro).

It would work fine until something changed (hill a little steeper, powder a little fluffier, hesitate just a touch, etc) then it would go down. Think submarine: DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! and you would be done. And it is a mother to dig out when buried past the windshield...

Coming off of an M cat you will be sadly disappointed. Try to find one that you can borrow for an hour or two. One of the guys in our group was hot to get a turbo nytro - until he spent a little time around this one.

Of course the engine never burned down and didn't blow any belts...

dave

#4 ·
I have a 2008 Nytro, have been very happy with it - was a little darty and touchy on the steering end, but a set of Studboy Deuce skegs and a little rear suspension adjustment for your weight, it drives and handles great. The highlight of this sled, though, is the engine. I routinely beat 800cc sleds from all other manufacturers, and they are shocked. 600cc sleds don't stand a chance. Nothing stock takes this sled out of the hole. It routinely beats my 2007 Apex in runs less than 1/2 mile, and that is saying something. I have done nothing to the track, engine or suspension, it is all stock. Only problem with the sled in 3 seasons is a blown belt at the end of last year - the original belt.

The downside - DON'T take it off trail in deep snow (2+ feet), it WILL get stuck and you will have the chore of pulling a 550lb+ sled out of the ditch. I ride on groomed trails only, and every time I have gone into the deep soft stuff I have buried it . . . .NOT fun. BUT, if you are into groomed trail riding (I go to Old Forge and Booneville most of the time) then you will LOVE this sled. It takes the bumps great and goes like hell - nothing in its' class even comes close in terms of speed and the ability to get moving FAST. I recommend the sled, but if you are looking for the best ride in the business, the Vector or Apex are the ones to chose. . .

Wig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.