Snowmobile World banner

Basket case 1971 GP 396 HELP!!!!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mmsrx 
#1 ·
Have a few issues. The adjustment on the bottom of the carbs that I think must push on the needle valve diaphram. How far should this be adjusted? Its a basket case sled and I am not sure if I have the right wires on the coils. The wiring diagram I got off the intenet shows orange and gray wires to the coils. Problem is I have two oranges and two grays. Is there a good resistance reading I can check to see what wires are right? Seems to be that I am flooding it out yet I have spark and the carbs are clean. Maybe spark at the wrong time ? Maybe carbs adjusted wrong? I have the smaller adjustable mixture screw 1 1/4 out and the bigger one 1 turn out as per another website. 120 PSI both cylinders. Any and all help appreciated!!!

#2 ·
My manual agrees with your carb settings settings. My manual show a silicone stack ???? sorry I'm not sure, and not on all models. 1 grey and 1 orange go into the silicone stack and 1 grey and 1 orange come out. 1 grey goes to one coil and one orange goes the other coil. The black is ground. Make sure the ground is connected. Sorry I'm not sure but I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.