Snowmobile World banner

A bunch of Phazer questions

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  topgun9409 
#1 ·
Looking at getting a Phazer MTX and making it into an ice fishing utility sled. Do all Phazers have reverse? Are they all electric start and if so is there a backup recoil? I want to put a basket on the back to hold my portable one man fish house and auger but see that the exhaust would be blowing right at it. Do they make or could I extend the exhaust to be longer so it's would be past the basket I would be adding? How is the 4 stroke for starting in temps in the -30 without using any electric heating devise? With the added weight of gear about an extra 125# hanging out past the seat and me around 215# with full gear on I'm sure I would need some help in the suspension department, are heavier duty springs easy to come by? I have heard the Phazer is a cold sled to ride if your just zipping across a lake but other then that any reason the Phazer wouldnt be a good sled for what I'm trying to do with it? I would love a Venture but it's out of my price range.

#2 ·
Yammi is all 4-stroke so they all have e-start. Unless you are a contestant in 'the worlds strongest man competition' I don't think you could turn it over with a pull-start (even the little phazer engine). None of them come with a recoil starter. I did help a buddy jump-start his attak after his voltage regulator wiggled loose and the battery died...

They all come with reverse now.

I am guessing you would be bringing enough gear out that you would want to use a sled towed behind your machine rather than pile it on the tunnel. That much weight isn't good on the back of the tunnel - you can bend them that way. A friend of mine got a motorcycle muffler and re-routed the exhaust out under the tunnel rather than straight out the back. It took some work but ended up working really well.

As long as your battery is in good shape you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it started in cold temps. I have heard of people having problems once you get down to -40 to -50F.

I am sure you can get bigger springs if you need them. Try stock and if you bottom out more than 1-2 times per day look for bigger ones.

I don't know how cold they are to ride - never been on a phazer. My friend is always complaining that the hand warmers don't work well enough (he has an '06 Attak and an '08 Nytro MTX). I don't know if they have gotten better since then.

Biggest thing with Yammi is they are heavy. If you are just going on packed trails and lakes you should be fine. The MTX should handle slush pretty well even towing a sled - the same floatation they need in the mountains will handle the slush - just don't stop in the middle of a slush field if you can help it.

If you are going places you are likely to get stuck those 4-strokes are a beast to get dug out. Of course with that 144x2 track you should be able to push through almost anything we have in MN. You will need to be careful not to burn up your slides if riding in icy or low-snow conditions with a track like that. You will want to add scratchers to help you out.

dave

#4 ·
I really couldn't tell you. I am not a Yammi fan so I don't pay that close of attention to details. I looked on their site but I can't find a page for 'past models' like the other manufactures do (skidoo.com for instance has the specs on all models back through 1997 available).

I thought all 4 stroke yammi's came with mechanical reverse but I could be wrong - maybe they were trying to bring the price of the phazer down or something...

dave

#5 ·
your phazer

I own 07 Phazer. Wife's sled. Dlaine has given you some good advice re:phazer..especialy use of tow sled & scratchers. If you begin to experience occasional difficulty starting..replace starter relay (like a large fuse). Known for collecting moisture then fail when frozen..take into shop...thaw it out..starts fine...then fails when taken back outside into freezing temps. We have 10Kmiles and still to ride tour this season. Oh, did replace track @ about 8.5K miles. And reverse is built into jackshaft beneith fuel tank...occasionally sticks. Rock sled forward & back to unstick/shift. Off season, remove tank & grease/clean the reverse trans on jackshaft. While tank is off, inspect,replace exhaust seals...w/copper ones...important service item..don't ignore this. Take care of suspension/skid frame.
Happy riding.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.