Snowmobile World banner

97 vmax clutch

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mmsrx 
#1 ·
I have a weird noise coming from the primary clutch when the track starts to spin. and last winter when i rode it, it didnt want to go very fast and the clicking got louder not sure whats broke in there!? any suggestions would be awsome!

#6 ·
puller should only be around 40 but ya around your figure with all new parts but havent checked on yamahe parts in a while maybe someone else here can better address your certain problem. last yr i had new spring in both clutches and new weights in prymary plus both cleaned and guy charged me 150 so not to bad these were stock parts for my 650 tripple polaris,now my prymary clutch for a 98 xc600 in shop getting new parts so not shure what this yrs price will be

#8 ·
u can get at dealer or through dennis kirk probly find a place that u will also buy parts from may save money in shipping cost be carefull of taking outer cover off spring is under pressure i would recomend having someone do it or watch some vidios on youtube they will show how its done then u can go from there

#9 ·
yes ive watched a few videos on you tube. i think im going to take secondary off first just to see if thats the clicking noise because the primary one looks pretty tricky to do. looks like more then i was willing to do. maybe cleaning will have to be put off haha if thats the clicking coming from primary. i kinda had other plans for sled like exhaust and stuff but pretty spendy with this to ha

#10 ·
Like scrammy650 said the cover plate on the clutch and the helix are under pressure from the spring. If your clutches are factory settings still then it should be not bad to do. The helix could be stuck so once you pull off the clip the helix might not move so be carefull I have seen a helix hit the ceiling when it finely breaks free. Both clutches should be cleaned every year. Factory yammies do not have the spring presure ski doos have, witch makes them easier to do. It sounds like you have never done this so be very carefull, do not look over top of the helix after you remove the clip it may hurt. If the clutch has a kit in it you may need different tools to take it apart. Be carefull and hopefully it is still factory. Also, hopefully this comes apart nice rember your settings on your helix and your sheves it will affect the spring pressure in the secondary. Once you do it and you know it will be easy next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.