Snowmobile World banner

clicking sound at idle and pulling

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  stenzo 
#1 ·
on My 99 Vmax 700sx i have a clicking/ticking noise when I pull and or when it runs at idle... almost sounds like a loose weight on the clutch, but it's not the clutch. When I give it gas and put load on it disappears.
It is motor related I am sure. When I take the plugs out and pull with no compression no clicks... put one plug in and pull I get a couple clicks... add another plug and get double the clicks and when all plugs in even more clicks per pull.
Any thoughts or ideas? main seal? bearing? piston?

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
The first thing I would say is your clutch but It sounds you have looked at that. Pull the belt off, remove the plugs and slowly turn the clutch with your hands to see if you can feel or here anything from the bearings. When the bearings start to go they will get loud and if a cage let go you should here the bearings roll and hit each other. To check an oil seal spray WD 40 on the seal when it is running, if it revs up the seal needs to be replaced and generally the bearings to. Did you just get this sled? Does it stop making the noise when the engine is hot?

#3 ·
I have had the sled for years and it just started doing it at the end of last season, when it heats up the same sound is there... just at idle. When riding the sound is gone. I will try the other things you mentioned to see what I can come up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.