Snowmobile World banner

Really like to try a RX1

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jtman04401 
#1 ·
whats your thoughts on the 03 RX1 MTN .there is one here with 3000 kms on it for $3500 , my son was a yamaha mechanic for 4 yrs,he says to stay away from them, to hard to steer ,I ride trails, no mountains.After riding these stinky 2 strokes for 44 yrs,sick of the exhaust,but cant lift what I used to now either.

#2 ·
If you ride trails, you will not be served very well by the mountain sled. The track is too long for sharp turning, the speed is down substantially due to the rotating mass of the track and the gearing, and the track lug height will be too tall for the trails. Tall lugs don't hook up well.

I would look for a dedicated trail sled instead of trying to make a mountain sled work. The RX1 is a bullet, I rode one when they first came out. Wow. Lots of power, corners pretty well, but it is heavy. Don't get stuck ;)

#4 ·
4 strokes

rode a 07 Phazer last yr, power like a old 340 . handles ok,,real cold though,used to older sit down sleds with windshields..hard decision.,

#5 ·
Weight is the biggest thing with the Yammi's.

Friend of mine has an '03('04?) RX1, '06 Attack and an '08 Nytro MTX. He was/is plenty happy with them on trail but he likes to play off trail too much of the time - they are heavy for that and the older we get the harder it is to get them unstuck! The steering effort is an issue as well on the older ones. There is a reason Yamaha was the first to develop power steering on a sled - they need it! It also added another 18lbs!

On the other hand, the engines worked flawlessly. Good power and never a problem that wasn't self-inflicted! (I can add details if you really want them! )

He just bought an '11 Polaris Switchback Assault and it trying to sell the Nytro. He still has the Attack but is trying to decide if he should sell it as-is, part it out or keep it as a spare.

The weight of the sleds was to much for what he wanted to do (despite spending $$$$ on after market to lose as much weight as possible). You just can't get around that big chunk-o-engine in the front.

dave

#7 ·
My buddy has one of these,wrecks every year first ride out.Broke his collar bone on it last night hitting a washout at about 70 mph. Now it needs a mirror,windshield and some brackets n such.
I finaly got to ride it,what a rush,those things are nasty.Rather have a 2 stroke tho.

#9 ·
I own 2 RX1's One is a 03 which I ride and the other is an 05 which the Mrs rides. I tried to get her to ride a 98 Doo 500.. a 03 ZL800 and a 03 Pantera 600 and she refused because she loves the RX1. So.. she has no issues with it turning hard. I have got it set up with Yama ski's with duel carbides and it is heavily studded. Yes they are heavier then newer sleds.. yes they are horrible if you get them stuck.. but for a trail sled they are pretty darn good. The only time I get moody on trails is when the trails are super super tight connector trails or whatnot. Any normal groomed trails are a blast on these sleds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.