Snowmobile World banner

89/90 exciter issues

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  scrammy650 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just going to throw this out there and see what you come up with. I was given a 89 or 90 exciter a few years back, threw some gas on it and it gired right up it took off like a bat out of hell. I got down my driveway about a quartee mile or so and decided to turn around because i knew the slides were completly worn out and didnt want to further damage the under carriage. Anyways after turning around to head back i hit the throttle to take off and the thing bogged way down almost to a stall. I lt it set and after a few minutes it came back and idled fine but when i gave it throttle it would go about 3-4 feet and bog way down. If i get off the sled and pulled it backwards it would take off again for a few feet. So i looked into ut and replaced the slides an proceeded to check the side bearings and found the speedo side was wasted and the shaft was broken off at the end. I happened to have a phazer parts sled and everything seemed to fit. So with that said all that stuff seems to be fixed. However i still have the 3-4 feet of take off then bogg from hell. Ive tried coil replacement swapping fuel pump, cleaning the carb, new belt. I havent touched it at all this season as for im working on a vintage skidoo.

#2 ·
also check clutches i had a 90 exciter and thing did it all the time once she got going i was fine but to stop and take off was a nightmare had to lift back end up ,rev it then jump on and go. my secondary spring and other parts were wore to heck ,rebuilt and was fine plus replaceds a bunch of carb parts.. if i was to drop new set of plugs in it everytime then 50% of time she would go again . i had nothing but problems with mine. was a good little ripper when running good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.