Snowmobile World banner

Trailer Floor Sealant.....

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  mxz800 
#1 ·
I have a '99 Featherlite enclosed 4 place all alum trailer. It has ski slides in it too. I"m looking at removing the ski slides and puting down a good epoxy paint on the floor to seal it. I'm thinking of sprinkling sand on it to provide a little foot traction when it's wet.

I'll then be puting back the ski slides as well as addidng a strip of 3/8" semi truck bed liner the length for each sled and the ramps to protect against stud damage.

Anyone have suggestions on protecting or sealing the wood a bit? It's supposed to be marine grade already.

THanks,
joel

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I use Thompson's, too. It does take a couple of days to dry properly.

#6 ·
Woody, I did a buddies four place enclosed with 3 foot strips of belting. I ripped out the 3/4 round moulding around the edges, and put down belting front to back, did doors too. installed the tie downs,Sealed seams and edges with black urethane and reinstalled moulding around corners. Got the belting from a local gravel pit cheaper than buying the ski runners up the 2 doors and floor. Put a extra strip up front so ski could follow it out the front door.Worked great and was not to slippery when wet. Good luck Honk

#8 ·
Well, last night I was home depot and looked at everything to choose from... Nothing really caught my eye, like I had hoped. I even talked to a mfg paint rep and he recommened I use an oil based paint or sealant. (as many of you have as well).

So, I decided to go with an oil based patio/porch paint in steel (light) grey to help reflect light in case we have to work on a sled in there.

So, the first thing I'll be doing is removing all the ski slides, scrubbing the deck to remove oil stains, then going to the car wash to pressure wash the deck and rinse it out. Then I'll take it home and let it dry for a couple of days. Then, I'll be puting the ski slides and track strips back in. (Jim, this is when I'll call you) :p

Anyway, I'll have photos soon. Also, I may have access to this 3/8 plastic semi truck bed liner in 20-30 foot lengths.... I'll let you know how it goes.

Photos coming soon during work process.

Cheers,
joel

#9 ·
Joel, if that was the HD by my house, no wonder. I went there this spring when I did my open trailer, wanting some gray deck paint. I bought the same stuff there the last time I did the trailer, so I knew they had it. I asked an associate for it, and he said they didn't have anything like that, and told me he could mix some home trim paint for me....LOL. I said no thanks, walked down the next aisle and there it was. Call me when you're ready for help.

Btw, from dealing with my deck in the back yard, Behr has been better than Thompsons, IMO.

#10 ·
I have some left over bedliner protection. I used that Herciliner and was gonna paint the deck on my triton. Its holding up fine on the bed and it also has rubber chunks into the paint. It is alittle pricey, You could use regular paint or stain and then try some of that Rust-O-Leum Gripper spray paint. Just make a stencil out of cardboard and spray down onto the floor where you walk at.

#11 ·
I plan on either blending in sand blasting sand into the paint or just sprinkling it on top while its still wet. That should give good walking traction I'm hoping. :)

#12 ·
Nice trailer. I have one to. I use Linseed oil mixed with paint thinner. That is the recommended application around here. Here is another idea. Load your sled's in the front door toward's the back. In other word's, load them backward's. You'll like it better. Easier to unload them shooting them out the back. Eliminates unloading the first sled forward which is hard to do since it scratches the side of sled if you are not careful. Plus it gives you alot more room between sled's since you can pull the 2 front sled's rear end's way up into the nose cone. Try it ! You'll like it !! ;)

#13 ·
Woody put first coat of paint on and let dry. Then when you are appling the second coat and it is still wet dust it lightly with silica sand on the top and do this half the trailer at one time split it down the middle for easier application. Then make sure when you walk up or down the ramp in the winter you don't step on the plastic ski guides they will send you to the Kester real quick. Also one more nice feature is to add clear reverse lights right above the tail lights for nite time backing up in remote locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.