Snowmobile World banner

Brake Light...

6K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  loggerhenry 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just fired up my sled for the first time since putting it away in April. Put fresh gas in and after a few turns of the key, she started. I now noticed that the tail light does not work. When I squeeze the brake handle, nothing as well. I checked the bulb earlier in the year, and it seemed fine. I'm not sure if the light ever worked since owning it. I never rode at night, and never really noticed it in the day.

Any ideas besides a new bulb? Any experiences with the brake light not working for some other reason?

Thanks.

#2 ·
There have been many cases where the brake wire under your seat rubs between the tunnel and seat causing the casing to rub off and short out. This is not an only phazer symptom so no need to be alarmed, but it doesnt hurt to check that. Also, just look up in your manual for your fuses, check them to make sure one didnt blow out and replace if it did.

Other than that, go over all the connections to the tail light and you might come across something.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll have to take a quick look under the seat as well as looking at the fuse. Hopefully it's something simple like that.

#5 ·
I had the same problem with my Phazer...turns out the brake light is activated by a plastic ring with a circular disk inside. The disk rotates when the brake handle is squeezed, causing contacts to close. Rust had built up and caused resulted in no contact...if all else fails, check that assembly out...

#6 ·
I had the same problem with my Phazer...turns out the brake light is activated by a plastic ring with a circular disk inside. The disk rotates when the brake handle is squeezed, causing contacts to close. Rust had built up and caused resulted in no contact...if all else fails, check that assembly out...
[/b]
Thanks for the input. I'm sure this will all help me out when I get to looking at it.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm sure this will all help me out when I get to looking at it.
[/b]
Now, how would I get the seat off? Is it just the two screws on the front left and right, and then then two bolts underneath the tunnel at the back?

#8 ·
Yeah, the seat is held on by 4 screws, 2 in the front and 2 in back that are inthe tunnel. Hopefully the ones in the back don't snap off like mine...then you get to make a bracket...

#9 ·
before you pull the seat,,, take the bulb out, spray some wd40 in it and let it sit for about 5 minutes,,,, spary some on your finger and wipe it around the base of the bulb real good also,,,, if you have another buld (they are really cheap) simply put it in after the 5 minute wd40 soak and then try it again,,,, keep it simple starting out, then dig only if you have to,,, good luck
Brian

#10 ·
:withstupid:
puree is correct, I would not recommend pulling the brake light switch apart 1st... :D
(unless you are bored that is...gotta figure out how the stuff works somehow....)

#11 ·
Hey,
Took a quick look at it a few days ago. Hit it with some WD-40 and out it back in. The bulb was lit up once started, but got no change when the brake handle was squeezed. The light was very faint when lit. When I rev the engine it gets brighter, but that's the same with my headlight.

I guess I will try a new bulb before doing anything else.

#12 ·
Check your wire connections. Is there a separate ground wire? Typically, when there is a dim lamp, it is a bad connection. If the tail light goes out when you apply the brakes, it is typically the Ground Wire that has the bad connection. That bad connection could also be in the switch or at the connector at the engine.

#13 ·
Hey guys,
older post, but now my light stays lit but nothing happens when I squeeze the brake. Sounds like it might be the disc right?

#14 ·
it's more than likely the brake switch. If you look at the base of your brake lever, you'll see where the lever turns the switch. Yamaha's were notorious for this. The other companies all use a little button type thing, where the base of the lever presses the button in. Much more reliable than Yamaha's setup.

#15 ·
it's more than likely the brake switch. If you look at the base of your brake lever, you'll see where the lever turns the switch. Yamaha's were notorious for this. The other companies all use a little button type thing, where the base of the lever presses the button in. Much more reliable than Yamaha's setup.
[/b]
I'll check it out next ride... but what would I need to do? Fix it or replace it?

#16 ·
Much more reliable than Yamaha's setup.[/b]
Jeez, how often do you hear that one?....

#17 ·
Before you go and replace or tare apart the brake system switch...try by-passing the brake switch and see if it comes on...if it does then probabbly need to replace the switch or try spraying it with electrical contact cleaner first

#18 ·
You may be able to take it apart and fix it. I believe the switch assembly on my SS was held together by a small nut and bolt up through the centre. When mine went on the blitz I just picked up another one......one of the joys of living 30 km away from one of the biggest sled salvage yards in the province.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.