Snowmobile World banner

71 Chaparral 400 Firebird

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Brother D 
#1 ·
Guys, here's a stumper.... I just bought a 71 Chaparral 400 Firebird. Very nice shape. The guy drove it over to my grandma's. I was going to take it for a ride. I tried to start it and it was flooded out.

I bought it anyway but I put a stipulation on the sale, "if I can't get it going, I want my money back." The guy accepted, so I'm not out alot of money.

Anyway, I just put a complete rebuild kit in the carb. Walbro WD carb. Put everything in right(Checked it twice) And it still doesn't want to go. Even when I put Starting fluid (I know this is bad for it) through the carb, it still doesn't want to go. It has great spark.

I finally got it to go last night, with lots of starting fluid, but it was very boggy. Gas coming out through the carb. So I tried to adjust my jets, and it died out. Could not get it going again. I am really stumped on this one.

Also, when I got it going, I was driving around the yard and it was very hesitant- maybe like there was a lot of gas going to the cylinders, took awhile to get up to speed. But once I got to a certain spot, she jumped up in RPM's and would go. Get to a lower speed and it was boggy.

I remember the guy telling me that to start it, he would use a hose with a priming ball on it. Dip it into the gas tank, get some gas and dump it down the carb. Could it be that over time, he dumped a lot down the carb shute and there's a lot gas that's down in case???????????????

Could it be that???? Is there an engine drain plug located on these engines? Where are they usually located. This is a Chaparral motor.

I really need help on this one!!!!!!!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.