Snowmobile World banner

snow or lack there of that is

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  maxdudy 
#1 ·
This is to do with the trail permits again. This year there was a few days about 10 that was good snowmobiling weather in MI, at least where I live, didn't even get my sleds out this year due to being gone over the road 2 weeks at a time. Anyways didn't buy a trail permit due to no snow and less time then normal. I'm wondering what the DNR is going to do for the people who bought permits this year, they jacked up the prices over the last few years and that didn't make since to me to begin with since I didn't ride on groomed trails but now I can since I moved. Anyways that's over and done, a few of my riding buddies go get their permits every year when the old one expires and some of them have up to 4 sleds they buy for. That's a big chunk of money and they got at the most 20 miles of riding in, so is there any talk of what the DNR will do for these guys who wasted their money? Just wondering since it seems the snow never showed up like usual for most of the sledding community.

#2 ·
I didn't even get my sled out of the garage there wasn't enough snow to enjoy the ride. Didn't bother with the snow pass wasn't worth it for the amount of time you would get to ride.I'm hopping for better conditions next year to make up for writing this winter off.

Sent from my iPhone using Snowmobile
Dead_Goldstar

#3 ·
I got a three year sticker for both my sleds and only got to ride 275 miles on one and had to drive 380 one-way to even get to snow. Only got one good day cause my buddies chain case blew up 1 hour in...
Not angry with him but saddened for sure

Sent from my iPod touch using SnowmobileWorld

#4 ·
I drove sbout 5,000 miles to put 848 miles on my new 12' Switchback Assault. Once to Wy, once to the Kewenee Pennisula (Calumet, Gay,Hancock), and two weekends in Houghton Lake. Let a stranger ride my 05' just so it eould get a few niles put on it. Sold both sleds as well as my covered trailer and then the snow came!!!! Errrrr. Everyone needs to realize what those trail permita pay for. Just about everyplace has new or fairly new groomers from the permit money. It also pays for the fuel, insurance, etc. Trails were AMAZING considering the amount of snow. I'd pay twice as much.

Sent from my MB855 using Snowmobile.com App

#6 ·
FYI .
The Registration is for 3 years. Likea liscence .
The trail permit is per year.
Yes it is expencive, and lower michigan areas do not get much of the money.
The Trail permit goes for grooming expencies and trail maintenence , Bridges Clearing land and renting land so you can run on. The areas with the most snow gets the most money. I hate paying for it also but if we don't belong to a club, you'd have nothing. The clubs do the trail marking yearly, at no cost to you, and the Groomers cost upwards of 100,000 so who pays for it, we do, just part of the sport.
I have older sleds because i cannot afford a new one also. I ran once last year for 200 miles for 40 dollars trail permit. ya it hurts but, running on groomed trails , well there is just no comparison to anything else.
The Trail permit will remain 40 per year foir the next 2 years, then may go up more.
Hay could be worse.
If you lived in canada you,d pay in the hundereds to have your sport on groomed trails and have to become a club member to play on anything but privet land.
Lets all respect the clubs that do the work every year. They do it because they love the sport like you and I.
Support them by attending there events . There alot of fun and a nice place to get some good grub and warmth and conversation.

REGARDS AND SAFE SNOWMOBILING.
MAXDUDY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.