http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum (http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   SKI-DOO (http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   00 Mxz 700 Won't Start (http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25714)

ExplorerSVT 01-16-2004 04:56 PM

I have a 2000 MXZ 700 and over the summer when it sat for about a month it would take a good 10 or 12 pulls to start it and in the winter when it hadnt been run for a few days it would take about 4-6. When it had just been run it only took 1 or 2 to start it. I pulled it out of the garage yesterday after it sat in there for about 2 or 3 weeks and it wont start. I pulled the crap out of it. The plugs were a little black and slightly wet so I put new ones in. Still wont start. I just remembered I read something about trouble starting sleds when they are pointed downhill, which I was. Is that something that is true for me or was that only for sleds with a primer?

This happened once before when the plugs were bad and I had a friend come over and he took out the plugs, pulled the crap out of it with the plugs out and switch off, then sprayed a little ether in each cylinder and put new plugs in and it fired right up. When it runs it runs great. Does this sound like dirty carbs or something else?

gravy davey 01-16-2004 05:53 PM

After a sled sets without being run at least once a week the fuel evaporates from the carbs.Take your plugs out and dump a little fuel in the motor it should fire.

ExplorerSVT 01-16-2004 11:48 PM

But the plugs were wet. That means it was getting fuel, right?

Do dirty carbs cause the plugs to foul often? I think I only put about 50 miles on these plugs and they are black. Mostly farm field riding.

CamaroDave 01-17-2004 12:30 AM

Are you getting spark? Pull the plugs and w/ the spark plug boot on, hold the spark plug to the motor (might want to use a stick to hold it) and see if you are getting spark.

Also, is the headlight illuminating at all when you pull it?

ExplorerSVT 01-17-2004 12:53 AM

I'll check that tomorrow. I made the mistake of holding the boot once and my hair stood up. LOL

000 01-17-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CamaroDave@Jan 17 2004, 12:30 AM
Are you getting spark? Pull the plugs and w/ the spark plug boot on, hold the spark plug to the motor (might want to use a stick to hold it) and see if you are getting spark.

Also, is the headlight illuminating at all when you pull it?

if your getting spark its, in your fuel system..

if your sk-doo dont start.. check for spark first!!!!!!

dpaige 01-17-2004 12:25 PM

How cold is it when this happens??

You could have moisture on the impulse side of your fuel pump.

I had that problem and had to use a heat gun to unthaw the fuel pump.

Moisture will get into the diaphram on the fuel pump, no in the fuel, just the diaphram. You can pull all day and not start the thing unless it thaws out.

ExplorerSVT 01-17-2004 01:35 PM

It's kept in the garage and thats got a minimum of 45 degrees (F).

I checked for spark and its got it. I looked at the headlight and I didnt see it glow like I have in the past. What does that mean?

crazymax 01-17-2004 02:06 PM

Hey after mine have sat awhile sometimes it helps if you give it a blow....job....

let me explain that...the fuel pumps on snowmobiles are a vaccum type... so when you pull and pull you are creating vuccum to get the fuel pump started..and fuel up into the carbs...I have discovered if you put your hands around the gas tank filler and make a little hole in your hands and blow some air into the tank it helps the fuel getting to pump and into the carbs...which in terms you have less pulling...

But make sure you do have spark :blush: :unsure: :!:

ExplorerSVT 01-17-2004 03:59 PM

Upon closer examination...

Spark is good. Plugs are wet.

I shot a little starter fluid in the cylinders and it kicked for a sec and then died. Then nothing. I did it again and it did the same thing even tho I caught the throttle in time. Something is not right. Last time I had it out everything was fine. Nothing weird. As I was pulling, my dad noticed smoke coming out of the top head plate (not sure what its called) right in the middle. Something tells me thats not normal. I also found pieces of what looks like pink fiberglass insulation in the bottom of the belly pan. I"m not sure if thats part of a gasket that might have blown out or something a mouse dropped off. I'm not sure what the gaskets look like or whats up in the head.

I have stopped trying to start it and I'm gonna give an old friend a call that works at the ski-doo dealer.