Snowmobile World banner

Tunnel Extension Vs. Buying Powder Sled

15K views 79 replies 15 participants last post by  dirtdr03 
#1 ·
I've had enough of this 121" track (3/4" lugs) for the deep, so I'm looking for opinions on whether I should convert my machine to at least 136 x 2 (as cheap as possible) or try to sell mine to buy a real powder sled.

I've been really happy with the reliability & performance of my machine, so I'm leaning toward setting this one up, but I'm not sure how the quality on the tunnel & rail ext. would be. Long term reliability is an issue as well.

Thanks for any suggestions. :cool:

#52 ·
My tunnel is .060" and so is the sheet I bought.
I was thinking of some way to fix up my running boards also. I wish I knew how to weld aluminum. Share some pics when you can...I'm looking for some ideas.

#54 ·
Hey SnowCatr, that tunnel extension is one of the nicest ones I've seen. Good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Real professional looking :thumbsup:

As for the handle, I would think you should be able to work out something with your old one, if you were determined enough. I haven't looked at them real close, but it is a possibility I would think.

#55 ·
Originally posted by Snow-Drift@Sep 25 2004, 05:42 PM
Hey SnowCatr, that tunnel extension is one of the nicest ones I've seen.  Good job  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  Real professional looking  :thumbsup: 

As for the handle, I would think you should be able to work out something with your old one, if you were determined enough.  I haven't looked at them real close, but it is a possibility I would think.
[snapback]347830[/snapback]​
Thanks. It didn't turn out exactly how I'd planned...minor goofs, and I wanted to make it in one peice, but overall I'm still very happy with it. It should work great and that is what's most important.

The original handle won't really work b/c it bolted to the rails along with the tunnel and my extension does not exend the rails. It could work I suppose, but then the sides of that plastic handle wouldn't be attached to anything. I could either bend up some aluminum tubing and bolt it to the sides or buy a handle from another sled that bolts up this way.

BTW, how's your sled coming??

#57 ·
I did just what your talking about last winter to my 99 ZR 600 EFI, went from 121x.75 to 136x2 and absolutly love the results. Here's what I did.

Bought a used polaris track ( I know, Polaris? it was CHEAP ok? )
Bought new slide rails 120.00 ea vs. 140.00 for extensions
Bought new sliders
Bought tunnel extension from Cat
Fabricated new rear bumper
Extended heat exchangers
Replaced chain and gears with 15 wide same ratio ( purely optional )

The track fits in the tunel without having to change to smaller driver but you will have to notch some of the paddles to clear the heat exchangers, easily done with exacto knife. You dont have to gear down if you dont want to. I kept the same ratio 20/39 but I did change to 15 wide gears and chain ( stock pieces were worn out ). Resist the slide rail extensions they are to light, land a little crooked and tey are bent. New slide rails are only about 1/3 more. I cant remember how much the tunnel extension was but it is not optional. If you dont when you land the track will hit the rear of the tunnel. The Cat piece is awsome, makes it all look like factory. Measure then remove the heat exchanger pipes and have them lenthened, if you dont you will catch the cross over hose when the suspension bottoms out. Send them to your local machine shop, cost me $80. It all takes time lots of riviting and drilling but DO IT, IT'S WORTH IT. I would never go back to a flat track. My only regret is that I didnt go a little longer to 144 x 2. All the same parts would have been required they would have been just a little longer though.

I think when it was all said and done it cost me about $1000.00. A far cry from the cost of a new sled! Find a used track to keep the cost down I paid $100.00 for mine and it had no torn lugs.

Have fun :)

#58 ·
I hear ya BeeKeeper, I almost wished I'd gone with a 144 already. I can't complain too much though...the 136 x 2 has been a huge improvement.

I did round up a handle from scrap pile. Cleaned 'er up and turned out looking pretty good, I think. I might angle it down a bit yet. Think I should?

Attachments

#61 ·
Originally posted by Snow-Drift@Nov 8 2004, 11:24 PM
Hey Snowcatr, have you messed with your heat exchangers???  I forgot about that hose being in the back, how did you get around this?

If all goes well, I should be doing my 700 over Christmas break. 

Hey beekeeper, you got any pics of your setup???
[snapback]361553[/snapback]​
I didn't lengthen them. The only thing I did was modified the shield (protecting the rubber crossover hose) a bit since the original one was riveted to the rear part of the tunnel, which was cut off.

#63 ·
Originally posted by performancex@Nov 13 2004, 11:59 AM
Hey snow-drift, got a pic of how the v-max turned out?

snowcatr, yu're going to have a snowy back with that short snow flap.
[snapback]363069[/snapback]​
was planing to extend my 03 rx-1 to a 136" and tracks usa extensions looked great. any body have a breaking problem with them? Im worried about them since I ride trails and like going off trail alittle if landing on hard pack anybuddy bend or break the extensions? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

lippy

#65 ·
Originally posted by lippy@Nov 13 2004, 01:33 PM
was planing to extend my 03 rx-1 to a 136" and tracks usa extensions looked great. any body have a breaking problem with them? Im worried about them since I ride trails and like going off trail alittle if landing on hard pack anybuddy bend or break the extensions? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

lippy
[snapback]363117[/snapback]​

I myself have heard more good than bad on the extensions. I'm going to be using extensions on my ZR. If you treat your sled like you want it to last, then the same should hold true for the rail extensions :wink: That's how I look at it anyway.

#67 ·
Nice job Snowcatr! Heres a few pics of my long track conversion. Stock 9 tooth drivers 2" paddles new slide rails and a cat tunnel ext. Rear bumper is two International truck (4400) mirror brackets welded together under the hitch then flattened out to bolt in (dont laugh at the flatening job it was really late by that point of the night or was it morning?)

Attachments

#71 ·
Nice work BeeKeeper! Thanks for the pics. Why did you choose to extend the cooling tubes?...just curious if you had experience there.

I just thought of something else. Because I lowered the skid, I shouldn't see any contact at that crossover tube/shield anyways.

#72 ·
Originally posted by 70BEEKEEPER@Nov 19 2004, 10:52 PM
Nice job Snowcatr!  Heres a few pics of my long track conversion.  Stock 9 tooth drivers 2" paddles new slide rails and a cat tunnel ext.  Rear bumper is two International truck (4400) mirror brackets welded together under the hitch then flattened out to bolt in (dont laugh at the flatening job it was really late by that point of the night or was it morning?)
[snapback]365520[/snapback]​
70Beekeeper

What did you buy from AC for a tunnel extension. Is it off of a powder special or is it a extension kit they had once upon a time. Would you have any idea of a part number for for the tunnel extension?

BTW

It looks awsome!!!

#73 ·
Thanks for the feed back. I extended the tubes because the paddels extend past the tubes ( not much but a little ) and I was afraid that if I landed real hard the paddles would catch the crossover tube. The tunnel extension was ordered from my Cat dealer but I'm not sure what the part # was I did the conv 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it was a Cat part though. I think it may have been part of a factory conversion kit from years ago, however all I got was the tunnel ext. The slide rails I bought seperatly. I used mountian cat slide rails for 136 track and made the bumper.

Dropping the skid frame would defenitly romove the chance of snaging the crossover hose. The paddle extends past the tubes only by 1/2" at max. I would still use the hose guard though cause we all know s--t happens!!

#74 ·
My nearest cat dealer is 150 miles away, which makes it easier on my wallet, but harder to find out pn's for kits and things like that. I have searched brownsleisureworld for a 1999 zr longtrack conversion, but to no avail. I will probably just have to start calling around to cat dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.