Snowmobile World banner

What track length do you prefer for mountain riding?

What Track Length Do You Prefer?

54K views 75 replies 45 participants last post by  Hypnotoad 
#1 ·
I like my 159" track. I have always had a 136" track for years but this season I rode a 144" and a 159". I didn't find that the 159" was harder to handle than the 144" much at all but in the steep hills it will go higher.

#4 ·
Where's the western boys? :thumbsup:

I agree that a 136" with a decent paddle will take you to a lot of places, we always had 136" tracks before they all went longer. But, when it gets deep and really steep the longer tracks are wonderfull. :hallo1:

#5 ·
144 is all I know and I love it, but (1) I've only rode this sled about 200 miles and (2) I never got a chance to do any climbing this year. IMO, anything over a 151 is just for bragging rights. Two identical sleds with different length tracks can climb the same height on the same mountain, it's 90% rider.

#6 ·
Originally posted by RMKcowboy@Apr 6 2005, 12:13 PM
  IMO, anything over a 151 is just for bragging rights.  Two identical sleds with different length tracks can climb the same height on the same mountain, it's 90% rider.
[snapback]416478[/snapback]​
I agree on any day that it hasn't snowed for a while and the hills have a thick hard crust over it the difference between the lengths doesn't matter much. However, on days that it had just snowed and you are pushing powder the longer tracks do make a difference climbing and staying on top the snow. But, I have found those conditions to be not very often around here so in most cases....I agree with you.

If you are going to compare two identical sleds with different length tracks you have to assume they both have the same rider since we are comparing snowmobiles and not snowmobile riders. :)

#8 ·
15x144 - best for out here. Short enough so as not to be a burden in tight trees and twisties and long enough to float up in powder. 16" wide tracks are a fad (don't sidehill as well nor lay over as well for powder carving) as are anything longer than 151 (except for maybe utah with the light powder they get there). 136'rs are for midwesterners wishing they lived out here! :D

Have Fun,

G MAN

#9 ·
Originally posted by VerticalEscapeRMK@Apr 6 2005, 01:38 PM
I agree on any day that it hasn't snowed for a while and the hills have a thick hard crust over it the difference between the lengths doesn't matter much. However, on days that it had just snowed and you are pushing powder the longer tracks do make a difference climbing and staying on top the snow. But, I have found those conditions to be not very often around here so in most cases....I agree with you.
I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the time or more my 144" would do every bit as good as your 159" machine. I really think that the super long tracks are just a marketing scheme. There is a lot to be said for track speed and technique in fluffy snow.

If you are going to compare two identical sleds with different length tracks you have to assume they both have the same rider since we are comparing snowmobiles and not snowmobile riders. :)
[snapback]416483[/snapback]​
What I meant was if the same guy went up the same hill on my sled or an identical 700 with a 151 he wouldn't climb any higher. With me at the controls, it wouldn't matter much because I've never done any climbing before and my "high mark" would make most mountain riders laugh until they peed themselves :D

#10 ·
Well I still slightly disagree. I still say a 151-159 will take you places a 144" just won't make it, in the right conditions of course. :D

As far as the long tracks being a marketing scheme...i say they are here to stay and will only get slightly longer. Reason is they really don't make that much of a difference with a tipped rail you can't even hardly tell on harder snow. I rode our '04 700/144 Vertical Escape early this year for a few trips and moved to my 800/159" Vertical Escape later this year when I bought it. I couldnt tell a difference at all, besides the extra climbing power from the bigger motor and longer track.

#11 ·
I vote 162. my brother bought a 04 kingcat this year and that thing is amazing. Between the power and the track it's pretty hard to get that thing stuck, and I haven't yet seen a hill that it couldn't just walk up. I thought the longer track would be a pain but it's just as easy if not easier to ride than my 2000 powder special with a 136 track. After this year I'm sold on the long tracks.

#12 ·
Originally posted by pwdrspcl@Apr 8 2005, 12:44 PM
I vote 162.  my brother bought a 04 kingcat this year and that thing is amazing.  Between the power and the track it's pretty hard to get that thing stuck, and I haven't yet seen a hill that it couldn't just walk up. 
[snapback]416933[/snapback]​
My dad manages to get his stuck on a somewhat regular basis :bash: ('03 900 MC 159", basically the same as a king cat)

I thought the longer track would be a pain but it's just as easy if not easier to ride than my 2000 powder special with a 136 track.  After this year I'm sold on the long tracks.
You took the words out of my mouth. I also thought a 159" would be too long when my dad bought his 900 A/C but I was wrong. With my Polaris having a tipped rail, it's even better than the A/C 159".

#13 ·
The tipped rails on the Polaris sleds are awesome, I'll agree with you there. Other than that, I still stay 95% of the longer track lengths are marketing and bragging rights. But, I do agree with you that they will keep growing, at least for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years the 144" is phased out completely.

#14 ·
I hope not, really...a 144" is a do it all setup.

#15 ·
Originally posted by VerticalEscapeRMK@Apr 8 2005, 10:59 PM
I hope not, really...a 144" is a do it all setup.
[snapback]417014[/snapback]​
Yeah it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop it. The 136" used to be the do-all setup, now it's a 144", soon it will be a 151" IMO.

#16 ·
I don't think it will get discontinued or outdated any time soon. I'm out West in some of the places where long tracks rule but know a lot of people that don't think the 150"+ tracks are needed and prefer a 144-153". Although I do love my 159" I think a 151" is plenty and am scepticle of the new 166" monster.

#17 ·
I got an 05 doo 144 X package summit, 2 good friends (I'll call them that, they could deny it) have the same year sleds, one is a 151 and the other 144. this is wet west coast powder, cement. They are good riders and go (under most conditions) anywhere they want. Yes 159 and longer will go higher and float better. But, it takes the challenge away. It takes some skill to get a sled up a vertical mountain top in powder. after a 2-3 day cold light snow with 3-4 feet of fresh powder, yes I would like a 159. But lets face it, in 2-3 days the powder sets up and you can keep up with the real long trackers. we used to fight this one hill (area 51 as its called) to see who could get up first. One of the guys bought a 900 king Cat 162. no more fight, first one up everytime. He said its no challenge anymore, you point and go. Almost gets boring, the thrill is gone.

Yes, it still takes some skill, But when you have 13 feet of track it does make life easier. And I boondock a lot, a 6 foot track wouldn't do me. I special ordered my sled, and I picked the 144, I do wish at times thou I would have gotten the 151, but no longer. I also weigh 160 lbs on an 800, I don't really need that long of a track, I think a mountain sled should be bought by your weight. The more you weigh, the bigger the engine and longer the track.

#18 ·
Well said paul! I completely agree with you. For me, the RMK 700 144" I have seems like the cream of the crop compared to the Phazer 121" I came off of. I figured for a first mountain sled, a 700 144" would be a good all-around trail/boondock/climbing sled, plus it will help me learn how to adjust my body position to become a better rider. I wouldn't complain if I had a 151", but for now my 144" does me fine. It doesn't hurt that I got a killer deal on the sled either :D

#19 ·
I would agree that the bigger, longer sleds make it easier to go through some spots that were tough to get through with smaller, shorter sleds but I have found too that, that enables you to get to the play areas faster and allows you more free time to play. w00t

If I was going to order a brand new 900RMK I think it would have a 151", maybe a 159". My dad is waiting for an M8-9 and will take one with the 153" track. He likes his 900MC 159" but without the rails being tipped on the Cat it can be hard to squeeze through the trees.

#21 ·
Originally posted by Flyguy@Apr 14 2005, 05:31 AM
It depends on where you are and how deep of snow. Around here all you need is a 121"
SWRules
[snapback]417714[/snapback]​
A 121" is basically non existant here. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere with them but up and down a trail, what fun would that be. :blahblah:

#22 ·
If you buying a sled dedicated for mountain riding I would think you would only need a 151" track. After that driver input matters more than the length of the track. If I were to get a crossover sled I would think a 136 with a 1 1/4" paddle would be adequate.

Attachments

#23 ·
Originally posted by VerticalEscapeRMK@Apr 14 2005, 09:40 AM
A 121" is basically non existant here. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere with them but up and down a trail, what fun would that be. :blahblah:
[snapback]417740[/snapback]​
PSHAW!

I have a 121 REV with 1.75" track and it does just fine - you just have to know how to float a sled up and set the suspension up for deep snow. In fact I do better than my friends on my 144x2" Summit because I'm putting more HP to a lighter track that still gets great traction.

And WHY are the mfgrs making their cross sleds with the puny 1.25" lug tracks??? They need at least 1.75"! I guess they're targeting MI, MN, ON, WI riders?

#25 ·
I'm was just zinging you short track guys a little. :D Although I havent seen a track that short in a few seasons. THe 121" is a trail track, right?

I think the reason you can't get 2" paddles on any crossover sleds is because they are all targeted for Eastern and Northern riders. Trail guys that want just a little extra but not 2" paddles and have to worry about hyfax and stability on the trail. I figure the manufacturers know that out west Mountain sleds are pretty much the only thing bought. I don't know how it is in Oregon but here in California we have limited groomed trails period and it's all off trail riding.

#26 ·
A machine with a 121" can do alright in deep snow. I had a 95 Phazer II before my RMK that had a 121 x 1.5" track, and it was pretty good in deep snow. It wouldn't win a climbing contest by any means, but it could hold it's own without getting buried. I wouldn't want a 121 tracked machine for serious mountain riding though, I think you'd end up digging yourself out more than you wanted to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.