Snowmobile World banner

2009 Yamaha Phazer GT Review

32K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  musichiso 
#1 ·

When it comes to Yamaha's Phazer series we have extremely mixed feelings. It's really not Yamaha’s fault. It is our bias and belief that the Phazer, good enough as it is; it could be far better.

Maybe we expect way too much from this snowmobile. After all, the 2009 Yamaha Phazer GT is pretty darn good. It is extremely athletic as snowmobiles go. It comes with some very good technology. It showcases some original thinking. And, there’s always that Yamaha quality we appreciate.

Let's look at the positives. The darn Phazer is a unique looking snow vehicle. Right away everyone knows you're riding something special. It looks light, a styling credit that belies its actual 489 pounds. It shouts sporty and fun. And it is all of that.

More: 2009 Yamaha Phazer GT Review on Snowmobile.com

See less See more
#2 ·
4 Stroke Cold Weather Start Problem

I just bought a PHAZER GT 500 , nimble , but not a rocket. A typical day in Manitoba is really cold .. got up to go riding New Years Day ( -34 c ) and the sled would not start , the fuel pump would not engage.... turned over like crazy but no fuel . I was not the only Yamaha with the problem . The dealer informed me (after I purchased the sled ) of a cold weather relay problem . Told me to heat up the relay with a hair dryer or to warm it up in my hand . seems to work for most sleds but not mine . I talked him into giving me a relay from a flow model and have not had a problem since , still really cold here . The dealer suggested I carry a spare in an inside pocket to keep it warm . The relay in the Phazer is behind the battery , you can feel it click when you turn the key . I pulled the cover and battery bracket ( carry a 8 & 10 mm socket with you ) and it is easy to change , about 10 -15 minutes . I was told YAMAHA is working on getting a relay with cold weather lube inside , but I'm not holding my breath .Untill then i'll carry a spare , just in case.

#3 ·
phazer wont start

Wow...I've had the same problem...symptoms. I took it to repair shop (non dealer shop), took it inside overnight, then it would start up....leave it outside, problems return. Swapped out the relay,,,no help (so the repair shop said!) But, if I heated up relay with dryer,...and get it to click...just keep clicking and eventually it would engage and turn over...and start. finally it all failed...Repair shop (not dealer)told me it was a burned up starter...$800 later...(starter...oh yea...new relay too!):cussing:...It seems to be fixed. Dealer still swears it was just a relay...He was probably right. LESSON...listen to your dealer,,,taking "this sled" to anyone other than a dealer for service is NOT a good idea...likely will cost you more $$$ when you're hoping to spend less. DON'T burn up your starter...the part is expensive and it is very expensive (labor cost) to replace.

#6 ·
เพลงใหม่ๆWow...I've had the same problem...symptoms. I took it to repair shop (non dealer shop), took it inside overnight, then it would start up....leave it outside, problems return. Swapped out the relay,,,no help (so the repair shop said!) But, if I heated up relay with dryer,...and get it to click...just keep clicking and eventually it would engage and turn over...and start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.