Snowmobile World banner

Adjusting Rear Suspension On Srx

17K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  99YaMaHa6oo 
#1 ·
i want to stiffen up the rear suspension a little bit.... i see on the rear springs there is a collar that can be screw down ont he spring, do i just screw that down more towards the spring to tighten it? is there a down fall to tightening my suspension? right now there isn't much flex when i sit on it maybe an inch or two, how much travel total does the rear suspenion have on an 01 srx 700? is it even worth tightening or do i want some flex when i sit on it? (238.5Lbs) just weighed in :tongue:

#2 ·
I have a yamaha vmax 700 triple and assuming the rear suspension is basically the same...there should be these collars like you said below your springs...it should have notches for whats called a preload wrench ($10-$15 give or take)... On the bottom of the collar (the part not against the spring) there should be a staircase type thing...the higher the collar sits on that...the sitffer it is...sorry its really hard to explain how these things work/look without pictures. If you weigh 238lbs you want your sled closer to stiff otherwise if its on soft, you'll compress all your travel...Im 180lbs and on soft mine compresses quite a bit. However, too hard and it will not absorb bumps...your best bet is to experiment with different setting and find what you like best.

#7 ·
suspension

I just put a 3 1/2 lift brackets on my 99 vmax 600sx, and it seems like it is rubing in the front, only when I try to give it a bit, mabe 1/2 throttle, it has good hight from the top of the tunnel. Im 225lbs,
I have a 1.25 track on there, the straps look like they are loosened all the way, and both shocks are at aprox half way, the two rods, with adjusters on them, in back outter suspension are loose to, (by hand),
i didnt put drop brackets on the front of suspension, just the rear.
I ditch bang, not a trail rider.
how do I fix this problem, is it the track size, or anything i have mentioned here??
Thanks for any suggestions

#4 ·
It depends on wether you want a firmer ride or a softer ride. tighten up the spring and you will have a firmer ride. If you are bottoming the suspension then you need to tighten it a little.

#5 ·
i want to stiffen up the rear suspension a little bit.... i see on the rear springs there is a collar that can be screw down ont he spring, do i just screw that down more towards the spring to tighten it? is there a down fall to tightening my suspension? right now there isn't much flex when i sit on it maybe an inch or two, how much travel total does the rear suspenion have on an 01 srx 700? is it even worth tightening or do i want some flex when i sit on it? (238.5Lbs) just weighed in :tongue:[/b]
Just like my sled you have two lock nuts on your shock. Other v-max models have a step like adjuster on the shock but the srx has these lock nuts. Just back off the top or upper nut and then with an adjuster tool tighten the lower one only an inch or two at a time and then test ride it. If your suspension is bottoming out when you hit a bump, then tighen the small front shock on the rear suspension, if the suspension is just sinking when you sit on it tighten up the Big shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.