Snowmobile World banner

2000 Yamaha Phazer

11K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  trx450r 
#1 ·
I am looking for some info on what type of mods I can do for cheap on a 2000 Mountain Lite.

I have access to machine shop so I can mill the heads. Anyone have any specs?

How about some used performance exhaust?????

Another idea I have been kicking around it widening the front end. I assume it would entail more than just replacing the tie rods, radius rods and shocks... I guess what I'm really wondering is the mounting plate for the trailing arms the same on the regular Phazer and the Mountain Lite?

Will other Yamaha skis bolt right on this thing? I would like to ditch the stock skis and get something that will turn a little better...

This will be a flatland trail sled....

Thanks!

Blaine

See less See more
#2 ·
ttt.... :D

#4 ·
usually when you mill your heads you should rechamber them at the same time.
[/b]

It depends on the squish volume...

That is the specific type of info I'm looking for....what is the squish clearance (lowest with premuim pump fuel).

Thanks

#7 ·
Thanks!

Familiar with the solder method...

I just started with the Yamaha thing and I can't seem to find much info....

Sure hate to go into it blind and mow to much off...fan cooled sled on race gas?!?!? :dazed:

#8 ·
TTT again!!! :D

#10 ·
Afraid I can't give you any helpful information at this time but I have a related question.
Do the 2000's have canted (tilted) plugs like the earlier Phazers? I'm looking for a way to machine my (1991) heads but the only way I've seen to cut them down is chucking them in a lathe using a custom fixture. Straight plug heads are simple.

Will you be using a lathe or mill? Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks

#11 ·
More than likely these will be done on a mill as I don't plan on having to reshape the chamber.

I tested the compression this weekend and slightly warmed up, with some fogging oil left in it...95 psi both sides...

Not sure how much higher a guy can go...

#12 ·
on my 85 phazer i have a psi pipe, reeds, a diff clutch spring and preformance pistons, it improved the preformance by a lot, she has no prob stayin with the newer 500's and some 600's , but still kept it fairly easy on fuel and so far the reliability is still there, it works for me

#15 ·
Nobody has anything????

Bump...again... :christmas:

#16 ·
no offense or anything, but iof your running 95 psi in both cylinders, i suggest rebuilding your sled before you do any type of engine work. 95 psi is not very healthy and will cause your cylinder to oval out. rebuild your sled and then check the compression. at 150psi or more you have to run race gas to prevent detonation. acfter a rebuld you should have 125-130 psi. i personally think you are in the safe zone to have 1/1000 milled off

#17 ·
Oh here we go...., bout time someone else wants to mod this sled!

Ok trx, iv been down this road before, and first of all, you can mod this motor and squeeze a ton of power out of it, spanking 500 liquids.

Take a look at this link, its something I posted before, and read it all, its got lots of good info here.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthr...ight=phazer+499

#18 ·
no offense or anything, but iof your running 95 psi in both cylinders, i suggest rebuilding your sled before you do any type of engine work. 95 psi is not very healthy and will cause your cylinder to oval out. rebuild your sled and then check the compression. at 150psi or more you have to run race gas to prevent detonation. acfter a rebuld you should have 125-130 psi. i personally think you are in the safe zone to have 1/1000 milled off[/b]

This is 95 psi cold...

I have never seen 125-130 with a fresh top end, even on new liquid motors...

Keep in mind that this is a mild tuned fanner, not a HP motor...

BTW...my zr 600 with a fresh top end is at 100 psi with the stock head.

#19 ·
Oh here we go...., bout time someone else wants to mod this sled!

Ok trx, iv been down this road before, and first of all, you can mod this motor and squeeze a ton of power out of it, spanking 500 liquids.

Take a look at this link, its something I posted before, and read it all, its got lots of good info here.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthr...ight=phazer+499[/b]

Sweet! Thanks!

#20 ·
i have an 84 enticer 340 thats pushing 125psi in both cylinders cold. and the top end was fresh 5 years ago......... thats where im getting my assumptions from. i also have a blaster pushing 130 psi. and im not sure about my 440 xcr. but keep in mind that the enticer and blaster both have stock heads............

#21 ·
i have an 84 enticer 340 thats pushing 125psi in both cylinders cold. and the top end was fresh 5 years ago......... thats where im getting my assumptions from. i also have a blaster pushing 130 psi. and im not sure about my 440 xcr. but keep in mind that the enticer and blaster both have stock heads............[/b]

Sorry,

When I was driving home yesterday I remembered that I'm waiting on a borrowed compression tester to verify these numbers. It seems a little strange that both sleds would pump the same psi.

I need to verify these compressions with at least another gauge if not two before I get crazy.

That Blaster number is interesting considering it's a free air motor...

I will research this some more and post backup info....

#23 ·
a blasters stock compression is 125-130 psi....... ive built blaster motors anywhere from 150-180 psi.

anyways, if i were you, why not just invest in a tester? sometimes the come in handy when you least expect it.[/b]

I do have a tester...it just doesn't have much trust from me right now.

I plan on getting another one, but to say funds are tight right now would be an understatement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.