Snowmobile World banner

1989 arctic cat wildcat 650 water pump seals?

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  roger200x 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey I have a coolant leak in rhe motor I can't find. I thought it was base gaskets they were terrible around the water chamber and reeds (front and back). I put new top end gaskets I and I still have coolant in the crankcase.

To replace the water pump shaft seals do I need to remove the motor again and open the crank case or can I remove the water pump cover and impeller and do it from there?

Any other suggestions?

I really don't want to pull the motor again... Ughh.

Roger

#2 ·
sorry to hear this... I am afraid its beyond my knowledge, internal air or fluid leaks... maybe someone else will know... good luck....

#4 ·
I already replaced the o rings in the head.... no help but more compression!

I ordered the water pump mechanical coolant seal and a new impeller and an oil seal.

I pulled my water pump cover off and impeller off and found....

The mechanical coolant seal is destroyed! lol its not one piece anymore! So thats my main problem. Under this seal theres an oil seal Im gonna replace as well.....

Ill post about my results when its done.

#6 ·
Well its done...

Took the clutch, flywheel, stator, stator housing, etc off today then the oil seal plate (FKN Philips head screws... RETARDS.) - then finally split the crank case.

All in all replacing the waterpump oil and coolant seals then the oil pump seals was very easy. The hardest part was applying the gasket goop to the case and not having it near the crank or bearings. The rest was easy.

My main problem was that the mechanical coolant seal behind the impeller was SHOT and came apart from the metal backing plate and shaft.

Oh yah and the retard that assembled befor me did not put any rtv or gasket goop between the crank case halves - the water jacket had almost none...... ughhh.

Now its back together but I need the 4 philips head screws that hold the oil pump and bearing cap into the crankcase and a new primary clutch bolt... mine broke.

I was using a torque wrench too, not air tools! lol I knew I shoulda just used the air gun.... Damn bolt broke off in the crank but I got it out EASILY.... with a flat screwdriver....Strange right?

Its done. Just need to bolt on the primary clutch and oil pump! YAY!

If anyone has any questions about this endeavor just ask, Ill help out anyone... I know how to do it now. (unfortunately! lol) :plain:

#7 ·
WTG!! man, thats how you learn.... u got in there and did it!! still sounds like alot of work,, but u will feel even closer to your sled now!! lol

#9 ·
I feel as though Im "inside" it now...:lookaround: lol or its "inside" my wallet.... lol

Not my first rodeo but first water pump seal replacement. Beats workin on 4 strokes... lol

I have come to find out I fkn hate o-ring head "gaskets" and other seals... **** them.. in the ass. :cussing:

Ordered a new clutch bolt today and should be here tomorrow.

Replacing philips head screws with allen head type hex screws... once again... **** philips head screws... in the ass.... never should be in a motor. Stupid "Engineers".:cussing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.