Snowmobile World banner

No Spark

20K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gabby 
#1 ·
OK guys I have some questions for a friends sled we are working on. It is a 2001 MxZ 800 X with DPM. It does not have any spark what so ever. Can someone throw me some ideas on what to check? The DESS is plugged in and the kill switch is out. Could it be the MPEM? Or maybe the coil, trigger coil or stator? Maybe something with this DPM thingy? What have you guys seen before? Are there any known problems? Thanks.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Gabby@Dec 4 2004, 09:38 PM
OK guys I have some questions for a friends sled we are working on. It is a 2001 MxZ 800 X with DPM. It does not have any spark what so ever. Can someone throw me some ideas on what to check? The DESS is plugged in and the kill switch is out. Could it be the MPEM? Or maybe the coil, trigger coil or stator? Maybe something with this DPM thingy? What have you guys seen before? Are there any known problems? Thanks.
[snapback]371252[/snapback]​
First check the obvious - look for any unplugged terminals or worn looking areas in the harness where a wire could be broken. There have been some problems in the harness near the connections at the voltage regulator. (right front of engine, attached to the chassis. There have also been some problems with the stator wires getting rubbed bare where they exit the case. I had a short in the wires that lead from the stator to the MPEM on my 02. Next, I would check the stator, then the coil. It would still spark if the DESS is unplugged, it just won't run at a high enough RPM to move. The DPM can cause problems, but it has nothing to do with spark. You can unplug the kill switch to eliminate that, but remember to reconnect right away.

Hope this helps some.

Keith

#3 ·
This is a long shot, but it happened to my bother inlaws sled.

He unplugs his electric sheild at his helmet instead of at the sled like the rest of us do. This allows the cord to dangle down to where the male plug end can make contact with the tunnel and short out. He has done this a bunch of times. The sled wont start if the plug makes contact to anything metal. It will also shut the sled down on the trail when he forgets to connect it to his helmet, fires up and takes off, then it grounds and stalls the sled.

This is a more common issue to check. Make sure you have no corrosion or powdery oxidation residue inside the sparkplug caps. this happens just from setting over time. It becomes more of a problems if the caps arent sealing out air due to age or minor cracking.

#4 ·
my kill switch went bad. I checked and re-checked all of teh circuitry per the doo service manual and felt dumb when I took it to the dealership and that's all it was. Can't complain about the $4 part cost to fix it though.

If you don't have teh doo manual with voltage, resistance values, take it to the delearship or buy the CD manual on eBay for $10.

#5 ·
I do have the CD service manual for my 2002. This sled is a 2001 put I followed the troubleshooting section for resistance and voltage checks a the MPEM is bad. There is suppose to be 25 - 100 volts to the high voltage coil and we only got 4volts. I know you are not suppose to switch MPEMs between sleds but we had the exact same sled there (even the same color) and we checked that on and it had 100 volts so we quick swapped it just to check spark. We got spark with the other one. how much is a new MPEM going to cost this guy? It sucks cause he don't have a bunch of money. Also this is a dealer item I am sure cause it has to be programmed correct?

#6 ·
I had a similar "no spark" issue and it turned out to be the stator, but in your case you got the proof its the MPEM. In my travels I priced one through Pioneer Performance , also a Ski-doo dealer, and they said $252.00. Ya sorry..... :cussing:

#8 ·
Hey idooski thanks. That would not work as this is an 800 X with DPM. Actually we found out that the X and Adrenaline MPEM is $350 vs. the $250 for a standard one :bash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.