Snowmobile World banner

1998 Mxz 500

22K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  M-10 
#1 ·
Hey, was finding some good deals on MXZ 500's. How are they? How fast would it be compared to my mx 521? reliable? rough trails? gas mileage? overall good sled? insurance?? thanks again, Neil

#2 ·
I put over 6000 miles on mine over 3 seasons. No problems w/ it. Compared to a PRS chassis it is a big improvement. I was getting 16 miles per Imperial gallon riding in northern Ontario.

You shouldn't have a problem getting ins. as it is less than 600 cc.

#3 ·
It is an all around good sled, good at everything, bad at nothing....but not the best at any one thing...it'll go across a lake at 90+, burn up the trails, go through powder reasonably well, won't use a whole lotta fuel, and won't kill you in insurance...you'll notice some inside ski lift in the handling department versus your mx...but the suspension is light years ahead...and most of all its a rock solid reliable sled...

...you know of a few for sale? i got a couple bucks saved up, might be interested if your not...

#7 ·
great sled,but I disagree with nothing bad from russ w.. the 500 in 98 was very fast for a 500 and outrunning 583's to about 75-80mph was not hard.the bad in my opinion is the rear skid,two words describe the ride in rough trails BUCKING BRONCO.if you do buy it add the a.d.boivin ets to it ,the best money spent on the ride,IMHO. Barry

#8 ·
I owned a 98' MXZ500 - loved it!! It was an awesome machine (for it's day).. good ride, good handling, and as said above - very quick for a 500!! I heard rumours that Skidoo dropped the 583 for '99 because the 500 was running side by side with it. And no problems for the 2 seasons I owned it - liked it so much I turned around and bought another - 2000 MXZ500 (which was even better!!).

#9 ·
I am sorry DOOMAN but I have to disagree with you about the 500 out running the 583 up to 75-80 mph. I own both sleds since new and the 500 is quick but it is not a 583. I have raced the sleds against each other many times and the 583 always beats it all the way from start to finish. Always. Not taking anything away from the 500. It is a nice little sled and it goes good for a little 500. It is a little snappier than the 521 plus(whitch I also own) and has abt the same top end as my plus. Though you get to top a little quicker due to the shaved pounds and rave valves. The suspention is quite abit better than the old prs and c-7 skid in the old formulas so I think you will be quite pleased. My wife has abt 3000 trouble free miles on the 500 now and it has never needed any service other than the usual stuff like plugs,clean the raves and a new belt. Hope this helps. My old plus below.

Attachments

#10 ·
is the 500 stock? if so I would clutch it and change the rv . it would do as I stated.and if we all could have been in the room (imho) when doo dropped the 583 ,we would know it was because the 500 was right with it and outrunning it in many cases to 75-80 mph.

#11 ·
I have to agree with Dooman on this one. Stock vs. stock the 500 was
a great match for the 583. With that being said there was a lot left on the table
for the 583. A GOOD port job, head shave, rv change and an airbox mod with proper jetting and clutching made the 583 a rocket with outstanding reliability. I know this will get a few comments but I know of a reliable, trail ridden 583 that gives 600 HO's a run for their money even with the weight penalty.

#12 ·
DOOMAN with all due respect I still strongly disagree that the 500 is in the same class as the 583. I purchased both sleds the same day brand new and take it from me that the 500 aint as quick nor is it as fast as my 583. Now if you leave the 583 stock and start modding the 500 well then it might run with it but then consider that now it aint stock any more. Now do the same mods to the 583 and see what happens. Yep 500 gets spanked again. The 500 is a smaller eng with smaller carbs therefore it puts out less power. Simple. But like I stated before that for a 500 it goes pretty good but it aint no 583. I dont know how much simpler I can put it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.