Snowmobile World banner

121 To 136 Extension?

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  mxzx6 
#1 ·
Ive been looking around the web for ways to turn my 97 MXZ 670 into a 136 in track...there are ways, but do they perform adequately enoguh?....the bolt on thing seems kinda weak...but maybe not....is it possible to excahnge rails from 121 to 136 and keep the same suspension pieces?....This 121 just isnt cutting it in the 3 and a half feet of power here...thanks for any help...

Adam

#2 ·
I have a extention kit on my Mach1 and it works fine. Doo sells a kit for $400 and there are other after market kits avalible. The only thing they don't recommend them for, is applications where your doing a lot of jumping on hard pack. If your going to a full length rail, I would just find a skid out of a Summit and swap it in. I think there might be a issue with the ACM on the origial skid if you just change the rails, but I might be wrong. Besides, the Summit skid is lighter with a shock rate suited to deep snow.

I had a 98' 583 MXZ with the 121X1.5 and it sucked the deep too. If I had to do it again, it would definitly be Summit, skid, clutching, gearing and a light weight seat.

#4 ·
So a Summit skid will bolt on possibly...hmm...and what is the ACM?....cant figure the acronym...to tell the truth, this is the first snowmachine ive owned that i can actually do mods with, besides that...ive never torn them down much, but i did replace all the wheel bearings and hyfaxes on it...that was easy...

It needs anew track badly, so if i can make it beter than it is now..i want to get a tack that i can use for a while...no sense in gettin a 121 when im just gonnna convert. thanks..

Adam

#5 ·
When I decided to extend my suspension I did a lot of looking in to it and buying rails for me wasn't an option because I was doing my conversion on a tight budget. The next best thing that I found were the slp rail extensions. They don't just bolt on the the very end of the rail, they have a bunch of material that goes up the rail for more strength. I did quite a bit of jumping with these and had no problem at all.

#8 ·
I too longtracked my sled with a skidoo kit - but it was only $225 (US). Works great and comes with everything you will need - tunnel extension, extra bogey wheels, perfect fitting rail extensions, etc. Plus, the instructions are actually fairly easy to follow. Just my $0.02

#10 ·
I have a friend with a 99 grand touring 583 two up and his is the 136" suspension and came with the acm from the factory. The thing you should be aware of is that it might not be a direct bolt in. I believe the rear mounting hole on the tunnel is farther back, at least on the newer sleds like the renegades and two up touring sleds

#11 ·
One question...What does ACM stand for?...Summit runners only cost 169 from skidoo...i dont know if there are any other parts that would have to come from a summit or if the MXZ will bolt to the skid. I dont have a summit to compare to..ill have to keep my eyes open...That seems like itwould be the best, and the strongest way to extend it. I like it as long as it doenst involve too much money, not counting a new track. i can makeit work, just knowing that it will perform properly if i do it. I dont go empty handed and blind into things. Thanks

Adam

#12 ·
ACM= Acceleration Control Module

#13 ·
I put on the factory skidoo ext kit, 121" into a 136", bolted right up nicely. I tipped the ext upward like the 159's are for better trail cornering. Instead of the silver colord wheels in the kit, I put yellow ones on the outside of the rail to cover all the bolts and the end of the hyfax, looks factory. I had my first ride last weekend with it on. Loved It.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.