Snowmobile World banner

Really Need Help-carbs On Yamaha Exicter

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mjd94vmax 
#1 ·
Just got carbs back for my 1992 Exciter, had them in to be cleaned and rebuilt (all new jets)
put them on my 89 Exciter (they have exact same carbs). Broke wires to switch (TORS?) ran the red to red, black to black to bypass the switch. Still runs like crap, it is back firing bad. Thought maybe it had something to do with the switch, so I backed it out so that it was running flush and not catching. Still running the same. Original carbs for the 89 never has had jets, it ran fine until I took carbs off and broke those wires. I am completely dumb founded. I am so frustrated to the point that I am ready to give up sledding. I have wrench so many hours. Can anyone please help me. Both sleds don't seem to run at top end, they are bogging down at about 30-35 rpms. Actually neither sled had jets in the carbs, but the 89 has ran perfectly until now?

#2 ·
Just got carbs back for my 1992 Exciter, had them in to be cleaned and rebuilt (all new jets)
put them on my 89 Exciter (they have exact same carbs). Broke wires to switch (TORS?) ran the red to red, black to black to bypass the switch. Still runs like crap, it is back firing bad. Thought maybe it had something to do with the switch, so I backed it out so that it was running flush and not catching. Still running the same. Original carbs for the 89 never has had jets, it ran fine until I took carbs off and broke those wires. I am completely dumb founded. I am so frustrated to the point that I am ready to give up sledding. I have wrench so many hours. Can anyone please help me. Both sleds don't seem to run at top end, they are bogging down at about 30-35 rpms. Actually neither sled had jets in the carbs, but the 89 has ran perfectly until now?[/b]
CLYMER repair book quotes :Engine backfires: Check (1) Poor quality fuel (2)Air Fuel mixture too rich or too lean (3)Incorrect carb adjustment

#3 ·
Actually neither sled had jets in the carbs, but the 89 has ran perfectly until now?[/b]
I must not be understanding you right because carbs don't work without jets. The jets are the only working parts, you have nothing without them. What exactly was done and why?

#4 ·
I must not be understanding you right because carbs don't work without jets. The jets are the only working parts, you have nothing without them. What exactly was done and why?[/b]
Well, you are not the first to tell me that.
Bought the 89 from a guy at a parts/sled shop in 2005, sled ran great, only able to ride a few times because of it being the in of season. Buddy of mine rode it, he has had sleds pretty much all his life, he said it ran great. Put sled up for summer, got it out to ride for next season (05/06) and it ran great then as well. I bought the 92 Exciter off a guy I work with in 2006. My buddy was wanting us to go to Michigan to ride the trails, so I was told to take the carbs out and clean them, so I did thats when I noticed that neither had jets. My sled ran wonderful (89), but the 92 bogs down at high rpms. If you gas it too much too fast it will die.
I took carbs off cleaned them again, matched them exactly to the 89. Still ran bad. Now, I took the carbs off the 89 again for this riding season to clean them, that's when I broke the wire to the switch. I took the carbs to the 92 in to have someone clean and re jet (since we had been told that it didn't make since that there were no jets) I was planning on taking the carbs for the 89 in to have the guy do the same. I placed the 92 carbs in my 89 to see if it would run better and not backfire, didn't work, still back firing. Going to try them in the 92 next.
Does any of this make any sense?

#6 ·
Does any of this make any sense?[/b]
Well not really. :) Take a good hard look at a parts diagram of any carb and you'll see what I mean. You *have* to have a main jet, pilot jet, and needle jet. Here is the link directly to the Yamaha parts diagram site where you can select your exact year and model and it will show you:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

The only difference in terminology is Yamaha calls the needle jet "nozzle, main". It has listings for a variety of main jets and pilot jets and if I'm looking at the right sled (please double check) your sled should have size 42.5 pilot jets and 310 main jets. A sled could run without *main* jets (is that what you meant?), especially idling and low throttle speeds. WOT would be at best very rich, at worst nonfunctional or running terrible. Make sure you have no intake leaks or questionable mods in your intake system and the airbox is connected right.

Which wires exactly are you talking about? What switch? And if your throttle cable free-play is set way off that might be it right there. I'm afraid this is too complicated and weird for me to be able to help with just descriptions but I'll try.

#7 ·
Is it the TORS switch? Theres one on my 94 VMAX that i just bought. It was unhooked when i got it, the two harness ends were plugged together and the two carb ends went to each other. Throttle OverRide Switch i guess is what it is. Ive heard people say to unhook them if they take a crap. Dont know much about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.