Snowmobile World banner

92 Indy 500 Sp Efi Bogs

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Beaxch 
#1 ·
Need some sane help. Bought a 92 Indy SP EFI last year and it ran great the end of the season. Ran stabilizer through before storing. Cleaned tank out and ran new gas / plugs (BR9ES) this year and she just bogs after about 5 minutes of idling or riding. Have to feather the heck out of it to keep running, then a good punch or kick and she'll take off for about 20 yards before bogging again.

Changed the fuel filter before the pump, checked the pump with direct power and it pumps steady. Both carbs move free (looked with air box off).

I can't think of anything else for the life of me.

My 89 Indy Classic, hell i've flipped that bad boy and other than a touchy clutch that doesn't like to idle has never given me this much trouble.

#2 ·
try running BR8ES plugs. my wifes sled is a 93 500 and we had br9es the dealer put in that did the service. i called another dealer and thats what he said to try.it worked great no problems since.but it ran the same as yours,might not be the problem but it is a cheap start.it worked for us very well. one more thing make sure new plugs are gapped properly. the dealer where i now buy my stuff does it for us. that sled has never run better.

#3 ·
try running BR8ES plugs. my wifes sled is a 93 500 and we had br9es the dealer put in that did the service. i called another dealer and thats what he said to try.it worked great no problems since.but it ran the same as yours,might not be the problem but it is a cheap start.it worked for us very well. one more thing make sure new plugs are gapped properly. the dealer where i now buy my stuff does it for us. that sled has never run better.[/b]

Cheap start until you melt a hole in your piston. If it ran well last year and nothing else changed except the summer storage, than chances are the problem is from sitting. If your jetted for the br9es and you throw a hotter plug in you will have a hot spot and it will melt, i have done it myself on my indy 500, the guy i bought it from had 8 in it and one cold cold night i melted it. It sounds to me like bad gas or plug. what do the plugs look like when you pull them out after it starts bogging?

#4 ·
Plugs are a little dark / oily for my likes.

Not sure what's up now, I took it out for a ride sunday and feathering was able to keep it running when it tried to bog out. Sucks to stop and have to keep idle high, it's like driving with two feet.

I'm wondering if the TPS could be dying, but not sure how to diag it, any suggestions?

#5 ·
My suggestion would be to convert it to carbs, not sure how you feel about efi but once those old systems start to go downhill it might be worth your while to give up on it and just get a set of used indy 500 carbs.

#7 ·
Hello, Not trying to hyjack this post. But I to have the same sled with the same problem and would like to know what is all involved in switching a 92 Indy 500 EFI over to carbs? I have a pair of 38mm Indy 500 carbs. Is it just a matter of getting differant carb boots and bolting them on? How about the CDI? Is it controled through the computer? Sorry for so many questions but this may help others with the same problems....Thanks.....Mike

#8 ·
No, not that simple, yes you will need new boot's as well as the airbox, Efi componets can all be removed...ie fuel pump,relays battery boc ..etc. Biggest problem will be in install the impulse line for the carb system.....where the crankcase sensor temp sensor is on the Efi, that hole is not drilled through into crankcase and has to be drilled out and then a 1/4 barb fitting screwed in so that it will operate the fuel pump. Problem is went you drill it out there will be some metal that will fall into crankcase. We presurized the crankcase with compressed air to about 4-5lbs pressure as we drilled it out.....theory being the pressure would blow out rather than falling into crankcase, we also greased the drill bit up really good as we drilled so fillings would stick to grease and was cleaned often.We finally flushed case with diesel fuel.

#9 ·
Thanks dwillowguy, I'll give it a try. How about the wiring harness? Will that work?

No, not that simple, yes you will need new boot's as well as the airbox, Efi componets can all be removed...ie fuel pump,relays battery boc ..etc. Biggest problem will be in install the impulse line for the carb system.....where the crankcase sensor temp sensor is on the Efi, that hole is not drilled through into crankcase and has to be drilled out and then a 1/4 barb fitting screwed in so that it will operate the fuel pump. Problem is went you drill it out there will be some metal that will fall into crankcase. We presurized the crankcase with compressed air to about 4-5lbs pressure as we drilled it out.....theory being the pressure would blow out rather than falling into crankcase, we also greased the drill bit up really good as we drilled so fillings would stick to grease and was cleaned often.We finally flushed case with diesel fuel.[/b]

#11 ·
Don't know if you made any progress but this could be a clutching issue. If you were riding on hardpack last year and powder this year that would explain why the performance seemed to change when really it's just easier for the sled to move with less friction but under heavier loads it's more likely to bog. I'm pretty unimpressed with the correct stock clutching performance on my 92 500 EFI even with fresh springs...if you have worn springs or an incorrect setup you're going to either bog or overrev, or some of each. Also if the belt deflection is too tight it will drag down your idle and it will get worse as the clutches heat up. Every sled I've ever bought had both clutches set up improperly for the area, so if you're riding without checking the weights and replacing the springs I'd say that's your problem.

However the darkness of the plugs seems strange to me, my 92 500 SKS EFI makes probably the best colored plugs I've ever personally had. It was recently rebuilt and the compression is really good. You may have poor or marginal compression, the EFI system does not want to run rich and shouldn't be producing black plugs unless something else is wrong. Finally, I guess make sure the "Electronic enrichment" switch is off when you're running. It kinda sounds like your choke is on. Maybe the switch is malfunctioning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.