Snowmobile World banner

98 srx 600 triple problems

10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  daniowa 
#1 ·
I started working on the 600 for a guy who hadn't run it in a couple years. i assumed it would be a carb clean, power valve clean and fuel tank clean out and we would be good to go. well i did all the above and it just ran like crap. it wasn't hitting on the middle cylinder so i cleaned the plugs had great spark but still no go. so took the carbs off again thinkin some more junk got into it and it was spotless. decided to do a compression check and it came back 0 on the middle cylinder. called the guy he didn't want to put the money into it to fix it so... i got myself a sled for the work i had done to it. the jug and the piston were toast. i replaced both of them got it all back together and it was hitting on it then it just quit. i pulled the carbs off again and there was barely any gas in the bowl of the middle carb. could the fuel pump be bad? i don't wanna toast it again before i atleast have a little fun. thanks for your help

#3 ·
yes I have see thru lines. it didn't seem like much was moving thru it. the weird thing is. the cylinder 3 went cold too for about 20 seconds then I shut it off. took out and plug was dry. I think im gonna order a fuel pump and a set of reed valves just to be on the safe side. I just didn't know if it was possible for the pump to go like that. pump to the outside 2 but not the middle carb. seems goofy to me.

#4 ·
Fuel pump test:

One at a time, remove a fuel line from the inlet of the carb. Pull the sled over. You should get fuel flowing out of the end of the line.

If all three seem to be putting out fuel in a similar fashion, you could have a mis-adjusted float arm and/or bad needles and seats in the carbs. Try setting 5lb of pressure on the fuel inlet on each carb (bowl needs to be filled properly with fuel) and see if it holds for 3 minutes. If not, replace the needles and seats.

Check the fuel lines themselves for obstructions too.

#5 ·
If you have enough extra fuel line, swap the center line to one of the other carbs. That way you can determine if the problem follows the center line or if it's a middle cylinder/piston issue.

#8 ·
Yes I did. How do these pumps work? Is there 2 circuts so to speak? I mean is there one circut that feeds only the middle clyinder and another circut run the outside 2? It seems when the middle hits the outside 2 dont and vise versa thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.