Snowmobile World banner

gauges not working on '06 skidoo

38K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  stevem5215 
#1 ·
hey guys. my parents just recently bought an '06 GTX 500SS. when they got it home we started it up, and i noticed that the rpm gauge wasn't working. i propped the track up and spun it. as well the speedometer doesn't work. all the other lights are working though on the dash...everything except the needles. is there a fuse just for these or....any help is appreciated.

#4 ·
The Napa part no. is AR201 which supercedes AR316.
The 316 has the mount tab while the 201 does not but is hard to find now that it is obsolete.
I'm sure there are other part numbers that work so feel free to add to this thread.

This is a very common problem so why not carry a spare for some added security.

Symptoms: lights go out, tach and speedo quit working but the sled still runs.

The relay is located right above your secondary clutch on the frame.

#7 ·
Hey Zeek,

That was the right part number (AR201) from NAPA just so everyone knows. But unfortunately that wasn't what the problem was. I talked to a skidoo dealer and they said 95% of the time that is what the problem is, but I got the unlucky 5%. He said to bring it in. Don't want to though snow is on the ground and there is a 2 week wait in their shop. Do you or anyone know what else I can check on my own, or troubleshoot somehow?

#9 ·
The headlights work fine. high and low beams. Is that what you were talking about? And new news too, before it was JUST the needles that weren't working, but now other stuff has failed. The lights on the gauges don't work, display screen that shows kms and hours doesn't show anymore, no hand or thumb warmers, and the tail light isn't working at all. Only thing electrical really working are the headlights.

#10 ·
sounds to me like you have a magneto issue, but ya that is hard to diagnose over the internet, the only thing that has me stummped is why do you still have head lights, best bet is to hit the shop at the end of season, however if you get pulled over with out a tail light at night it can be a spendy ticket........... if you are familiar with a sled, try taking the cover off the magneto and see if the magneto its self is maybe rusted or hanging up

#11 ·
ok, now check you plugs on your bars for any green connections (corrosion), clean them all real good with a small brass wire brush and contact cleaner. my buddy last year had a similair problem and it ended up being one of his plugs. I wish I lived closer, that way I could check it out. It's something that is dirty though, no way its your magneto, or regulator. Did the other stuff change after you changed the relay? Something is not getting a good connection.

#12 ·
More new news. I found one of the 20 fuses (two that are just above cylinders on frame) was blown, one closer to the inside. Thats why all that stuff wasn't working. Took the fuse from beside it and voila, everything worked and no surprise the headlights weren't on. ANYway, back to square one, JUST the needles aren't working, its not the relay, and it blew a fuse.

#13 ·
More new news. I found one of the 20 fuses (two that are just above cylinders on frame) was blown, one closer to the inside. Thats why all that stuff wasn't working. Took the fuse from beside it and voila, everything worked

( so everything works or not)

and no surprise the headlights weren't on. ANYway, back to square one, JUST the needles aren't working, its not the relay, and it blew a fuse.
Ok your confusing me now, does the stuff work or not?

#14 · (Edited)
to clarify, ONLY the needles don't work again. a new fuse fixed all that other stuff, taillight warmers display lights etc.
alright i will check out everything under the bars real good. it would make sense that its just a bad connection somewhere. and no when i put in the new relay it made zero difference. this sled had a salty road trip at some time in its life before we got it, and there is some corrosion around. i will clean up and get back to you, thanks!

#15 ·
Similar issue

I have a 2005 600 SDI. Started it for the first time this season, and the Speedometer, and tach don't work. I noticed the battery light, and temp light were on as well. Assuming the battery was low I measured around 12 VDC, and charged. Put the charged battery back in, started sled..... sled automatically does a disonostic check, and then the tach turned on. Went for a ride, same thing occured.
Dealer told me the relay was bad. Checked all relays and they're ok. Swapped relays around, and had the same issue. Bought a battery, and have it charging now. I have a feeling it's not the battery either.
Don't want to take the sled to the shop, but have a feeling they can diagnois the problem on their computer. I suspect a SW problem in the system. I think my battery was initially low, caused an error, and now the system won't reset.

#16 ·
Fixed

Installed the new battery, started sled, and the Tach, Speedometer didn't work. Temp gage, and battery light still on. Disassembled all the connectors on the machine, removed all the excess grease (manufacturer applied), and started sled..... Tach turned on, temp gage, and battery light went out. Rode the sled for an hour, with no issues. Hopefully fixed, with no root cause.
I did notice one thing though..... Starting the sled with old battery. 12.6 VDC before start, 13.6 VDC while sled was started. Applied break, and high beam, and battery voltage dropped to 12.5 VDC.
With the new battery, voltage was 13.85VDC on bench 14.2VDC after starting, and with high beams, and break applied, voltage dropped to 14 VDC to 13.85 VDC.
Any thoughts??????????