Snowmobile World banner

1996 Polaris Indy Lite 340 Twin

27K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  MotoSkiier 
#1 ·
Hi again, my friend has a 1996 Polais Indy Lite Deluxe 340 Twin and i want to know how fast it will actaully go maxxed out. I have a buddy planning to race him and i know his top speed so what will this Polaris do?? Thanks. SWRules

#3 ·
depends on teh surface.
On a hard packed trail, you'll see about 60mph. On a plowed road you'd see alittle more.
The little 340 is ultra reliable, but it doesn't have alot of power to spare.

#5 ·
Tell your buddy to jet the sucker down 2 sizes from stock. Put a Polaris gold/silver primary spring in it. Stock is solid gold. Take the secondary apart and on the helix there will be 2 holes for the spring and on the sheave there will be 2 holes marked A and B. Mark what holes the spring is in from the factory, then go to the next lower hole. You want to soften up the tension just a litttle bit. Ajust the throttle cables at the carbs because they dont open all the way from the factory. Make sure the slides go up as far as they can and are syncronized. With a 135 lb rider, the sucker will go 72 mph. With a 195 lb rider, 65 to 67 mph on a hard surface. I did this to my nephews 94 Indy Lite 340 and he smokes 440 fans all day long. I even put 48 studs in the sucker for some bite.

#6 ·
I don't know exactly what one might expect in terms of racing one of these little machines. I don know, however, that the little 95 Lite GT I have will easily do 60 or better on many of the surfaces we run on with me (200 lbs) on it. I have, under good surface and very cold conditions, gotten better than 70 out of it. My machine is straight-from-the-dealer-stock. You will probably play catch up against most machines in a race but the 340 Indy Lite will top out okay.

#8 ·
I had a '88 Indy Sport back in the early 90's and day after the blizzard of '93 - a next door neighbor, his family and I went out riding out on the main roads - I had that little baby 340 wide open and according to the speedo, I had her up to 70mph. :hallo1:

#9 ·
my buddie had a indy sport also, and he would swear to god he's had it up to 95 while i never whitnessed it, he wouldn't have a problem keepen up with every one else on long trail rides (the pack usually included a 97 ultra 96 xlt 98 xlt 94 xcr and a couple indy 500's n trails) but i was never around when he topped her out

#10 ·
Originally posted by White Lightning@Mar 26 2003, 08:31 PM
I had a '88 Indy Sport back in the early 90's and day after the blizzard of '93 - a next door neighbor, his family and I went out riding out on the main roads - I had that little baby 340 wide open and according to the speedo, I had her up to 70mph. :hallo1:
I've got the same sled... rode it up til last year, put about 4000 miles on it. great little sled! it handled so nice. anyways, it would do 70 pretty consistantly on any groomed trails. through the fluff 40 maybe 50 was the max. i put the higher elevation clutch spring in it when we went out west and never took it out when we got back, it gave it alot more snap at the bottom end and lost no top end. definatly a mod that i would do to any polaris 340. it was always a b**&ch to get started but other than that it ran well, once we got it jetted properly. factory jets are WAY to fat. it would load up all the time. make sure you warn him- if he runs WOT all the time to keep up, the motor will burn a tone of fuel and oil.

- Jason

#11 ·
In about 15 inches of snow.... mine topped out at 52. On a groomed trail... I haven't tried yet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.