Snowmobile World banner

1996 Ski Doo Formula III question...

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  J-Bone 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a 1996 Formula III. I drove nearly 250 miles (round trip) today to ake a look and a test ride. I have owned the same sled before, however this one seemed to take a bit more for the clutch to engage. It has been a while but this one wasn't engaging until just until 6000rpm's. Is this correct? All together it seems to be a good deal, he is asking $1000, it does need a new seat and new handle bar covers as the plastic is missing. It still has a huge amount of power and speed. I am just concerned about the high RPM start, please help I am hoping to buy on Friday. Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
It's a newer belt looking at it, it seems to be shifting okay, I endedup buying it today because I was able to pick it up for $500!! Did a little wheeling and dealing to get it that low. I took it out today to fuel it up and it seems to fluctuate while holding the throttle steady. I was running in deep powder most the time but it still seemed to have problems holding a steady RPM. I am hoping maybe a tune-up and some new clutch springs will help, any ideas?

#4 ·
sometimes when guys are selling sleds they will put a new looking belt on but might be from another sled. this being said does the belt come to a rest at the top of the secondary?
flush with the top ? if not it could be the wrong belt and this would explain the high rev take-off's, new clutch springs are a great idea and make sure you give it a good cleaning too.....Happy trails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.