Snowmobile World banner

1996 Polaris Xlt Touring

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bripaintball 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any problems, concerns with this sled? It has the 600cc 3 cylinder motor. My buddy is thinking of picking it up.

thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Like riding cloud 9 :D

SMOOTH SMOOTH

Love the symphony of those single piped tripes :halo:

might have possible crank problems yet I think they were more problematic on the XCR/XLT SPs of 1996

some had the problem yet others have went over 10,000miles without a hiccup

#3 ·
The crank problem was an easy fix... it had something to do with an oil line that needed to be run but wasn't... when the line has been run it will run for a good long time if taken care of. There are ppl on this board that can be way more precise about it than myself, so i'll let them help ya out.
Wayne

#4 ·
i had a 94 xlt special and regret i sold it its rod like a dream and had plenty of power it would push 103mph which is not bad for a triple 600.
i had one problem with the reverse gear. i had to have it taken out. if it has reverse only use it if its an emergency.

hope this helps,
brian

p.s. i would tell you friend to pick that sled up if the milage is reasonable.

#5 ·
Here is a link that I found about XLT motors. I'm sure that your sled wil fall in the catagory of the bad crank porblem. Look at your oil pump to see if it has 4 lines. If so the 4th line should go to the PTO side of the motor behind the clutch. Polaris didn't add the 4th line until mid production in '97. Here is a link that I foundon another site. I hope this helps.

XLT FQA

#6 ·
Originally posted by I-Triumph@Sep 7 2005, 03:33 PM
Here is a link that I found about XLT motors. I'm sure that your sled wil fall in the catagory of the bad crank porblem. Look at your oil pump to see if it has 4 lines. If so the 4th line should go to the PTO side of the motor behind the clutch. Polaris didn't add the 4th line until mid production in '97. Here is a link that I foundon another site. I hope this helps.

XLT FQA
[snapback]430938[/snapback]​
this one has around 5K miles though. I will have to take a close look at it.

#7 ·
Originally posted by slickwilly08@Sep 7 2005, 05:28 PM
this one has around 5K miles though. I will have to take a close look at it.
[snapback]430961[/snapback]​
I had a '96 XLT SP b4 I got my triumph and it had 9800 mi. on it. It finally blew up. I broke a piston and screw the crankcase up pretty good. The crank on it held up pretty good. If you do regular maintainence, I don't see a problem with the XLT motors. I know guys/gals that have as many as 13k on there motors just my doing regular maintainence. If you are buying this sled used, then I may question what kind of mainainence has been done to it if there wa any at all. With 5k on the motor I would think about a rebuild IMO. I also would pay any more than $800-900 US dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.