Snowmobile World banner

Cold Seize?

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Formulaman 
#1 ·
:cussing: 700 01 Summit ..So we went on a ride..thought the sled was warm..5 to 7 minutes into it it seemed to have run out of gas or something. Went to pull it over and it did'nt crank ( hard pull) , let it sit for a few then it started up..just fine. Off I went and 2 min later same thing..Thinking Cold Seize.
What exactly is a cold seize, What the @#%* causes it and what am I going to have to repair...ANY HELP on this will be Greatly Appreciated!!
Thanks

#2 ·
Cold sieze occurs when the heat of compression expands the piston faster than the cylinder can keep up and it locks up. Usually the piston skirts are damaged around the pins transfering material to the cylinder walls.
In most cases disassembly and inspection is required. Suprised that a 5-7 minute warm up was insufficient, unless you hoped on it and headed wide open across a lake?

#4 ·
Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but me personally I warm them up around five minutes then make sure I start off slow for the first kilometer. If you have a temp gauge it will tell you when the engine is up to operating temps, and you'd be suprised how long that takes some bitter cold days.

#5 ·
If it is seized you will need to have your cylinders rechromed and a new set of pistons and rings, a new base gasket. If I were you I would replace the cageless wrist pin bearings with caged bearings. It is easier to install. If you do you owe work make sure you don't let the cageless bearings drop into your case!!!!!

#6 ·
Check your engine compression, this will tell you a lot and is very easy to do. Never start up your sled and pin the throttle across the lake. Always let the sled warm up for at least 5 minutes and take it easy for a couple of miles, then have fun. You would be surprised how many people cold seize their engines because they think they can just pull and go.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info...I hav'nt put new pistons in....yet. I'm doing a compression test tomorrow and I'll see how that goes..Anything I should look for or listen to??
Is this a semi-easy fix..pistons, or is it pretty involved?? I'm not afraid!!!!

#8 ·
not exactly sure on your but on mine i had to take off air box, carbs and reeds, thermostat hose, head, and then the jug. I am 90% sure that it was all. there might be a thing or 2 i forgot but it is fairly easy if you have any idea how to work on them. just make sure you have the proper torque specs and torque it right when you re-assemble

#9 ·
Hopefully your cylinders aren't scored.Sometimes they look really bad and you will swear they are all gouged but its actually just melted piston stuck to the cylinder.Iron cylinders can be cleaned off with acid but I'm not too sure with the nikasil cylinders.Other than that just stick a new piston in the bad cylinder (or cylinders) and your good to go.You might also want to check your thermostat to make sure its working properly and making the engine warm up quickly.

#10 ·
Samr thing happend to myself up in Fort Kent, Maine.

I was riding with a bunch of TCATS, woke up from the cabin one morning and the other guys had already been up warming their sleds up.

I was only able to let mine idle for about 30 seconds cause I got up so late, and we took off.

Well we got off the trail connector onto the main corridor and all the TCATS punched it, so I tried to do the same and she cold seized.

It was a #### experience, and even harder admiting what happend.

Least to say, I always let all my sleds warm up 5 min now, even then I dont romp on them right away.

#13 ·
120 psi is a little low, have the cylinders measured for out of round and taper (don't want any) I just did my top end this weekend and I now have a new respect for nikasil cylinders as mine were only half a thou.(.0005) out all directions with 9000 kms on them, they looked bad but thats just the aluminum from the piston, cleaned up real nice and oh yeah the bombi wrist pin brgs are pricey I thought but they come with a nice little plastic bushing that keeps everything together real easy to install. A little tip shove a magnet up into the piston before you pull the pin to catch all those old needles mine had 28 in each (700) Good luck. BTW check and make sure your thermostat isn't sticking in the open position (I think someone mentioned this) because you can cold sieze a warm engine if this happens for sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.