Snowmobile World banner

98 xc 700 timing? bog!!

12K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  TSF 
#1 ·
iv got a 98 xc 700 that i put mikuni carbs on and i have this anoying bog, it pulls realy strong all the way from stop to wot(7800rpm) with no issues but if im wot and back off to half throttle and then punch it again it bogs realy bad, if i slow way down and start again its GONE! its got a new motor, new fuel pump, new fuel lines, new fuel, clutches look good, tried new cdi box, new plugs, iv done everything except check the timing, could timing cause this if its out?? iv played with the jetting and needle positions and i think thats pretty close every jet size and needle position has that same bog! if it could be timing does anyone no the specs?? thanx

#2 ·
Sounds to me is the secandary clutch issue. What helix, and spring are you using? WL

#4 ·
I used to have two '98 XC7s - one of them I bought brand new. I do believe stock is dark blue, 60g - straight 36 and silver. I changed the clutching set up to 62g, EPI red, R12 helix, with POO Silver/blue. Thats for 824 version engine in the '98. In my 220 version in my other '98, I had the setup a little differently. Couple qq's, what hole setting is the helix on? And also what belt are u using? WL

#6 ·
the spring is in #2 hole and im using a polaris belt number ending in 65,, (tried a brand new one today with no diff) and it is the 824 version of cylinders. also checked the timing and its at around 4 at 1500 rpm and 13 at 8000,, but it seemed like my light was flickering a little more around 6000 rpm vs 8000 or 3000... maybe thats normal??? could it be my stater getting weak or somthing? i got a spare one i could try... i need all the options i can get!!!!

#7 ·
Light flickering? make sure all your connections are intact and that everything is all it should be. I dont think the stator goes bad in them but you'd never know. If you have a spare, try it and see what happens. Let us know. 824 version should run at 8k for peak revs. WL

#11 ·
Its tough to pin point why youre still bogging without actually seeing exactly what its doing. Did you try and talk with a dealer and see what he says? WL

#12 ·
ya i think maybe i found the problem.. on the primary clutch the shaft is a little rough were the cover slides and the bushing is poor.. i put a new bushing in and polished up the shaft and gonna try that, might have to get another clutch..... thanx for the help!! ill let you no if this fixes the problem!!

#15 ·
clutch alignment tool will tell u if youre out of play - is that what happened? WL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.