Snowmobile World banner

87 indy 400 won't run

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  162Whiskey 
#1 ·
I have cleaned the carbs and reset them, new plugs. I have cleaned the air filter. I have pulled the head and have redone the pistons. I have spark, gas flow, coolant and oil. All lines are clear and working. I think I have done everything. What I don't have is an engine that will start!! It was a 2 puller before this season. I would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

#2 ·
Does it run (briefly) when you squirt gas directly in the cylinders?

#3 ·
It did for a brief time. This was done while trying to "prime" the gas pump. Once the gas was in the pump and lines, it ran for about 10 minutes. I shut it down to replace the belt, hoping to take it out, but it never started again. Now it does nothing. Very frustrating.

#4 ·
Perhaps it's flooded now - or flooding ltself when you try to start it. You might be able to clear it out, if so, by holding the throttle wide open when you pull. Then you have to determine the cause of flooding if that's what it's doing. Usually it has something to do with the inlets failing to seat properly - could be dirt or debris in the inlet, or ice in the bowl or inlet. Ice usually ends up in the jets though when it gets in the bowls.

#6 ·
I checked everything and it looked clean and ice free. I put them (carbs, bowls etc) back in and it started on the first pull. It ran for about 5 minutes, fairly well, and then it stopped. I pulled several times and nothing. Just like before. Any suggestions, again?

#8 ·
Redone the Pistons? You want to clarify that statement for us? Did it pull over harder ( more reisitance) after it ran for 5 minutes and then stopped. If so, that's not good. If not, then I would look at the fuel system, a sled will run about 5 minutes on fuel in the the float bowl, and if that fuel is not replaced, the engine will stop. Causes, fuel pump pumping, but not enough volume to keep up. Another, fuel inlet needle and seat not flowing enough, but you said those had been removed and cleaned, right?

#10 ·
(If the pistons are backwards, it'll be better if it doesn't start. The rings won't last long before they hook the exhaust ports. The pump should still work okay until then, though.)

#11 ·
Thanks to all of you who have responded. Quite a bit to think and look at. First, the pistons are clean, debri free and installed with the arrows correct and seated properly. Second, the pull stays the same before and after it runs for a little while. Pins, needles and etc are all clean. The fuel pump seems to work properly, there is always plenty of gas visual inside the "fuel filter". It appears that it is flooding out. Starving it for gas when it runs keeps it running longer and if the choke "accidently" gets on, immediate bog out and smoke. It starts every time is sits for a day, first or second pull. I can run it around for a while, stop and it stalls out and no start. The plugs are wet and the bowls full at this point. There is even a bit of gas in the lower crank when I pull the cleanout plugs. Once all is cleared, it will start again. Could this all be a choke problem??

#12 ·
Visit your choke plungers and their action on the carbs. If the choke ( it's really enriches and does not "choke") piston does not close completely ( it just has spring pressure to close it) you will run rich, which is OK for start up, but not OK once the engine warms. Sounds like you symptoms. Check the bore, clean it and the plunger piston with paper towel and carb cleaner. I like to coat both with a liberal spray of WD-40 before re-assembly.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.