Snowmobile World banner

Adding Temp Gauge To Mxz

17K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Grover 
#1 ·
I like the idea of having a temp gauge instead of just the idiot light. Is the wiring already present for installing a temp gauge?

#2 ·
I put on on my 01 MXZ 800.The wiring harness is already on the sled ready to plug in.They will also supply a new sending unit with the guage that you will have to change.Just drill a 2.5 inch hole and plug it in.Don't forget to unplug the idiot lite or the guage won't work.

#3 ·
I put the 'doo temp gauge on my '01 MXZ when I got it. The only thing I can add is put it on the LH side of the dash. If you install it on the RH side, the wires barely reach. There is a template included for hole location.

#8 ·
& the wiring instructions.

#11 ·
Installed an older guage on a '03 REV. If you have a sensor in the head now that runs the idiot light the guage will hook up to the wiring harness under cowl on left side and the idiot will work also. If someone needs the wiring setup for an older 'Doo guage to a '03 harness let me know, just did one. I did pick a used 'Doo guage for 30$ US. Works great, hits red and light comes on. Easy!!-Grover :hallo7:

#13 ·
You don't need a sensor, unless yours is missing!?! Look at the backside of the head towards the carbs. If you have a brass colored plug with two wires (or four) you have your sensor! My '99 has yellow/ wblack stripe and violet wires from it. My '03 has (2) black wires and (2) violet wires. -Grover w00t

#14 ·
:) You can't beat having the temp gauge, had one on my ice fishing sled and you could watch the temp rise as you crossed bare ice, then you would shoot for a patch of snow and watch the gauge drop. My opinion is that this feature should be standard on all new sleds, much more helpful than the dummy light.

#16 ·
I picked up a temp and electric gas guage on the net for $25.00. You'll have to get the correct sensor for the temp, around $38.00 and the sending unit for the gas. The idiot light sensor won't work with the guage, and the sending unit for the
gas runs about $68.00, U.S. If your dealer can't come up with these numbers, Doo
a different dealer........Shgadowman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.