over rev'd @ WOT - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
BOONEX

Mileage: 1000 kms
Primary Sled: 98 GRAND TOURING 700 SE, 98 GT700
Where I sled: Newfoundland
Default over rev'd @ WOT

hey there was trying for top speeed today on a nice ice smooth lake.. i was too foucsed on the speedo to notice what the rpms were at but just as i passed 160kms/h somthing happened felt like i ran out of clutch there was a major over rev(like the belt burst) i hit the brake and slowed her down hit the throttle again and it seemed great otherwise and still does...
this is my 2nd 98 GT700 the only diff is i have the SE now but they both did this....1st of all what is it? and 2nd how do i fix it?
BOONEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
dlaine

Primary Sled: 08 Renegade 600, 87 El Tigre
Where I sled: MN, MT

Was it holding rpms while gaining speed then suddenly the rpms went way up, or did the rpms steadily climb until it was over-revving? Was it always doing this or did it just start recently? Any other changes to the sled recently?

The only time I have had a sudden over-rev is if the load suddenly dropped (hit a patch of ice or blew the belt). It is possible the belt started to slip - happens on mine if it gets wet. Belt might slip if it gets too hot - not sure about that though.

If you had a steady climb until too high you may need to add more weight to the primary clutch.

Did you notice how hot your clutches were? If it happens again stop immediately and check the temps of the primary and secondary clutch faces. Careful though - it is possible they can be VERY hot.

Also possible you may have worn out parts in the clutches - weak springs, worn bushings, rollers, etc. I don't know the specifics on that clutch set up.

If your chain or track was ratcheting you should have been able to feel/hear that but you could check your track and chain tension. Not likely the cause here but never hurts to check.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
dave

PS - we ran out of snow 3 weeks ago. It has been 70F+ for the last week! It was a pathetic winter here...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
BOONEX

Mileage: 1000 kms
Primary Sled: 98 GRAND TOURING 700 SE, 98 GT700
Where I sled: Newfoundland

hey thanx for the reply ..i just recently bought this sled ive had one like it for years but lost the crank bearings ...nothing done to it that i know of ..ive had belts break and chains & tracks busted over the years they all sounded much like this lol im thinking that belt over heats ....im going to try some marker on the clutchs next time to see where they ride @ WOT ...its not a good feeling when it happens my heart is still 3" higher towards my throat then it was b4 the ride..it was a crappy winter here as well (snow then rain) but just got another 2o+cm last nite
BOONEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
loosetrack

Mileage: on my 5 sleds,about zero to 200 miles,we lack snow in this part of the country
Primary Sled: 95 formula ss
Where I sled: alberta

now that i read your post a couple of times,i would tend too say there was or is an issue with the secondary clutch not the primary,for some reason the secondary stopped shifting as the drive was still shifting,this will create an over rev condition,next the belt will get stretched and may break,check the bushings and such for wear.remove the spring and function test the driven,see if there is any play and while moving the sheave in and out try to tilt it and see if it binds

Last edited by loosetrack; 04-18-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: just considered my post
loosetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
speedzone

Primary Sled: Mach ZX 1000
Default Somethings wrong??

I agree with loosetrack, I would definately check both my clutches to make sure everything looks the way it should. Also it woudlnt hurt to check clutch alignment. At high speeds if alignment is off all kinds of funny things happen especially on a ck3, especially ones with rer. Alot of them were aligned wrong. Rer and non rer are not the same alignment specs. As far as running out of gear, I doubt it because stock gearing is most likely good for close to 130 mph. PS Hope when you blew your last belt you didnt damage the pto crank seal-- that could make odd noises if bearing is starting to go caused by lean out.
speedzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement