Snowmobile World banner

72 Panther 340

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gretnaboy 
#1 ·
Recently got a 72 arctic cat panther 340 from a friend for free. At first it started up, after about 50 pulls :D and ran just fine, after a couple days of riding it wouldn't idle, or even run for that matter. Had to get it started as it was out in the middle of our field, so it would run for 10 seconds, move 30 foot and die. Went out and bought some new plugs, NGK BR8ES, and some champions. Still the sled wouldnt start, when it did it would have hardly any power at all.

This being my first snowmobile, i know nothing about it. If you have any suggestions, (other than rebuilding the carb, already know we have to do that) let me know.
And if you know what the fuel mixture for it is, i need that to. Been searching google all day and cant find crap about it.

If theres a thread about it already, my bad. Search wasnt working.

#2 ·
Check your fuel filter.

We had a 69 ski-doo that the tank rusted out on. It would run great for about 10 min then die - the fuel filter was completely clogged. After the particles settled out a little it would run briefly (less than a minute) then die. Put in a new filter and get another 10 min out of it. We ended up rigging a new fuel tank behind the seat and it ran like a champ.

dave

#3 ·
Check your fuel filter.

We had a 69 ski-doo that the tank rusted out on. It would run great for about 10 min then die - the fuel filter was completely clogged. After the particles settled out a little it would run briefly (less than a minute) then die. Put in a new filter and get another 10 min out of it. We ended up rigging a new fuel tank behind the seat and it ran like a champ.

dave[/b]
Just did that today, and it was horrible. Getting 6-12 inches of snow tonight so hoping we can get it running, somehow.

#4 ·
we had a 72 panther about30 years ago. I remember it quit once. The fuel line that drops into the gas tank had rotted off. Pull the cap off and look in the tank. There is also a return line on that sled. That one is o.k. if it is short inside the tank. The pick up needs to be to the bottom of the tank. There is also a check valve/filter on the end of that line make sure it is there. If not it will require many pulls to get it running. Also spray some startig fluid etc... behicd the clutch while trying to start it.. It may also have a bad crank seal which was quite common on those sleds. Kevin

#6 ·
Hey, you would probably do well to run new fuel lines front to back, it'll only cost about 10 bucks, and throw an inline filter about a foot ahead of the carb...I have a 72 Panther 440 that dad bought new, and it still purrs great!
As for fuel mix, I mix about 30:1. 40:1 I find to be too lean, engine won't run as well. Check the back of the oil container, and it should help you out with the ratio. I put 500 ml of oil in 20 litres of gas for the 40:1. Its abour 500 ml of gas to 15 litres for 30:1. At any rate, if you go with a little more oil, it should save your engine.
Good luck with it if you have a Tillotson carb on it.. you will need to clean it very well if it has been sitting for a while...careful with the diaphragm assembly, it is quite delicate...I learned the hard way Go to http://www.aerocorsair.com/id27.htm for a great description.
Also, try this site for some general, but essential info..http://www.cpinternet.com/ecurtis/vintagecat.htm

Happy sledding, Brent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.