Snowmobile World banner

Theft Deterrent Idea

2M views 65 replies 53 participants last post by  jesca 
#1 ·
Post your theft deterrent ideas here!

#6 ·
I have a 1/2" or 3/4" cable I got from Home Depot with some high quality locks. We can lock all 4 sleds together thru the rear suspension. When we are back at our hotel, we usually load them back up in my enclosed trailer. I've got heavy duty locks on the doors, and welded beads on the hinge pins so they can't just remove the door. If I ever have to remove a door, I'd just grind the bead off.

We leave the trailer hooked to the truck, with locks on the tongue and the hitch pin.

Hope this helps someone out.

#7 ·
Nothing newer than an '88 :D

TTT... Let's get serious here... I almost bought a Masterlock mechanism with a decent size cable on it... They were cheap enough, If I had the $ for a pair of bolt cutters, I would've gotten a spare lock along with the cutters and found out how good they were...

#8 ·
.357 Magnum loaded with hollow points..........let the dogs eat the evidence when I'm done.

Only kidding. I have a coated 1/2" cable with locks, I loop the front suspensions of the sleds on the trailer, rung the cable down and through the lock on the tongue of the trailer. Looking for a good lock for the receiver now.

#13 ·
I searched the web and found this lock:
http://www.alarmlocks.com/atv.htm This has a cable that you weave thru any part of your sled. Each end of the cable goes into an alarm box creating a loop. If someone cuts the cable the alarm goes off.

If nothing else, a thief would fear seeing an electronic box and move along. A lock would be okay in a parking lot for short term I guess.

I don't have any feeling of security with a lock or cable - they are sooo easy to cut with a saw or bolt cutters. I have to keep my sleds outside this year and I am worried!

#17 ·
Polaris cover Nice, I guess you could make sure everyone knows you have a series three motor in yer doo... And from what I hear AC has there own theft deterant system, they catch on fire about a mile down the road, although they have had some problems with this backfiring on the owners.

Actually though i try to lock all the sleds together with a cable.
Wayne

#18 ·
I myself prefer .40 cal as in my Glock 27, I never leave home without it :devil:

I think the best Idea is leaving tools on the seat, but if you insist on covering it the Polaris cover works great :lmao:

Of course Insurance is a must. Late in the season I have to admit it would nice to see my sled gone in the morning, it would assure a new one for the following fall without taking a beating on a trade in :D

#19 ·
I might be able to help you with that one mighty :lol:
Wayne

#20 ·
An idea I read elsewhere stuck in my mind. When staying at hotels a baby monitor could be left under the hood and will alert you too anybody messing with the sled.

Perm

#22 ·
here is something to think about. you go through all that trouble and money parking your sleds in an enclosed trailer and putting reciever locks, good door hinges and locks. all they have to do is remove the nut on the ball and slide it on their reciever, put the nut on and take their time cutting locks off in their garage. so it might be a good idea to buy one more cable and run it through your vehicle frame or hitch and around your trailer toungh some how. :bash:

#23 ·
Originally posted by goose@Dec 2 2004, 11:11 PM
here is something to think about. you go through all that trouble and money parking your sleds in an enclosed trailer and putting reciever locks, good door hinges and locks. all they have to do is remove the nut on the ball and slide it on their reciever, put the nut on and take their time cutting locks off in their garage. so it might be a good idea to buy one more cable and run it through your vehicle frame or hitch and around your trailer toungh some how.  :bash:
[snapback]370525[/snapback]​

There are receivers, specially the three ball types, where there is no nut. The balls are welded to the receiver. I use them regularly to tow boats with the company truck. Ball usually wear out so we replace the whole unit.
I have good insurance and 5 locks all on at one time. I do carry a 15 foot cable in the sled that cannot be cut with cutters and a chain on the trailer that needs a hydraulic cutter to get through...To many locks, theives are not going to waste there time. Couple locks they will go after...

#24 ·
I am going to be making a small platform in my truck which will be bolted to my 5th wheel plate. It will be about 4 inches high, and wide enough for the track. I will be mounting a track lock type thing that slides over the rails to the platform. The lock will be made of a very strong steel, along with a really good pad lock to keep it in place. It will be good because with it being bolted to the plate in the box, it iwll be almost impossible to get undone with the sled sitting there, and the sled will be locked to the truck, so they can't just take it off and then worry about the locks and stuff after, they will have to cut the lock while sitting in the back of the truck. Another plus is that incase of an accident, the sled should stay pretty steady in the back of the truck.

Bauer

#25 ·
you could also take your plugs out over night.................just dont leave a spare next to it :sarcasm:

#26 ·
I have an older sled. So it's easy enough to pull the ignition wires off and start it. So what I did is reversed the wires. So On is really 'off' and 'off' is really 'on'. Perspective thief thinks............Hey! the key's in it! Turns it to on and starts pulling........ Then thinks there may be something wrong.........So disconnects the ignition and starts pulling some more..........Little does he/she know......that the CDI box is in my pocket!

But I definately like the baby monitor idea! Wonder how long the battery will last when it's -20 out! But I do have a plug in my parking spot at home for a block heater......I guess I could just plug it in when I'm at my apartment....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.