Snowmobile World banner

Ontario Trail Map.

17K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  dharris144 
#1 ·
Here is my revised Garmin map for this year. Just remove version 100 or 101 before installing 102.

This is the installable version
[attachment=36303:REVED102.zip]

This second file is a .gdb ver. 3 file. There are now 1373 waypoints and 501 tracks.

[attachment=36304:REVED102gdb.zip]

Just remember this is NOT an official map of any kind!

Attachments

#2 ·
Thanks for the downloads, unfortunately I'm pretty new at this GPS thing and am unable to open the file as Mapsource refuses it due to the file being "Version 3" and according to my updated Garmin Legend HCx software, it only accepts files up to version 2.50...any tips?

Would a third party software be a good alternative to go around this problem?

#5 ·
Getting to understand this GPS thing is quite the learning experience. :eek:hmy: There is much to learn.

I have now found out that I can't just upload all your "tracks" on my GPS without somehow creating a "Map" of my own as I only have the ability to save 20 tracks on my Gps.

What programs would I need in order to create my own map? I'd like to somehow merge my tracks and waypoints to a map (ie. Google Earth, Topo, etc.) so that it is permanent and doesn't require saving the tracks in a log. I don't think I can do this in Mapwource, can I?

#6 ·
Getting to understand this GPS thing is quite the learning experience. :eek:hmy: There is much to learn.

I have now found out that I can't just upload all your "tracks" on my GPS without somehow creating a "Map" of my own as I only have the ability to save 20 tracks on my Gps.

What programs would I need in order to create my own map? I'd like to somehow merge my tracks and waypoints to a map (ie. Google Earth, Topo, etc.) so that it is permanent and doesn't require saving the tracks in a log. I don't think I can do this in Mapwource, can I?[/b]
I have created a custom map making tutorial. This one uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit...a very nice front end for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper and Mapset Toolkit. Also included is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

Tutorial

#7 ·
Holy cow! I'm starting to see all the work involved in creating a GPS map now! :eek:hmy: Good job to everyone who has done one on their own.

So far, I've managed to get a collection of trails and just as I try to export them using Mapset Toolkit to Mapsource, I get an error regarding the level of detail and how my map is too large. Where do I edit my map? at level 0 or level 4? or adjust them all?

Thanks for all the help, I'm almost there!

#8 ·
Holy cow! I'm starting to see all the work involved in creating a GPS map now! :eek:hmy: Good job to everyone who has done one on their own.

So far, I've managed to get a collection of trails and just as I try to export them using Mapset Toolkit to Mapsource, I get an error regarding the level of detail and how my map is too large. Where do I edit my map? at level 0 or level 4? or adjust them all?

Thanks for all the help, I'm almost there![/b]
email me your .mp and .img files

cf-700 at hotmail dot com

#10 ·
Had a lot of computer problems at home lately, so I ended up reinstalling Windows from scratch. I didn't back up my maps that I was creating, so they are now gone...oopsies.

Not to worry though, I'll use Reved's trails to create my own map. :)[/b]
Hey Grimm the first file in this post already is a map. The second file is the tracks and waypoints used to make the map.

Do you have any tracks and waypoints you want to share. I'm really short on trail intersections from out your way.

#11 ·
Hey Grimm the first file in this post already is a map. The second file is the tracks and waypoints used to make the map.

Do you have any tracks and waypoints you want to share. I'm really short on trail intersections from out your way.[/b]

I'll work on getting you some tracks and waypoints when I can, unfortunately I lost a couple of tracks I made as it was deleted during my reinstall.

Last night, I managed to use your map and upload it with my topo software, however the tracks are the same colour red as the highways and can make it a bit confusing. Is there an easy way to change the colour?

#12 ·
I'll work on getting you some tracks and waypoints when I can, unfortunately I lost a couple of tracks I made as it was deleted during my reinstall.

Last night, I managed to use your map and upload it with my topo software, however the tracks are the same colour red as the highways and can make it a bit confusing. Is there an easy way to change the colour?[/b]
genTYP

#13 ·
I did try changing the colour of the trails using Gentyp and it ran the program, however when I followed up using the Mapset toolkit program, it keeps giving me an error stating that the map is too large and that the level of detail has to be reduced. I then try changing the levels of details, but then more errors pop up (raster, vector, can't save, save Polish format first, etc.) and then I give up.

Is this just related to the GPSMapEdit program being shareware and not the fully registered program?

RWS, can you in a step by step point form instruct me as to how you converted the map above (gdb,img, or gpx file) ? That would be awesome! Maybe then I'll understand where I went wrong.

Thanks in advance. :)

#14 ·
I did try changing the colour of the trails using Gentyp and it ran the program, however when I followed up using the Mapset toolkit program, it keeps giving me an error stating that the map is too large and that the level of detail has to be reduced. I then try changing the levels of details, but then more errors pop up (raster, vector, can't save, save Polish format first, etc.) and then I give up.

Is this just related to the GPSMapEdit program being shareware and not the fully registered program?

RWS, can you in a step by step point form instruct me as to how you converted the map above (gdb,img, or gpx file) ? That would be awesome! Maybe then I'll understand where I went wrong.

Thanks in advance. :)[/b]
email me the .img and the .txt file (used to create the typ file) you tried to run in MapSetToolKit

cf-700 at hotmail dot com

#16 ·
I'll do it when I get home tonight, thanks.[/b]
I created a TYP file using the 123.txt file you sent me...opened the 77777777.img file you sent me in MapSetToolKit and it processed the files without a hitch installing the map into Mapsource.

Screenshot of MapSetToolKit

Screenshot of map installed in Mapsource.

#19 ·
Thanks for your help rws. Looks like there is some sort of limitation in the software somewhere that prevents converting such a large map all at once. It only works for me when I cut the maps down considerably in size, which will take looooooooong time.

I don't know if this is too much to ask but anyone care to change the trail colour of Reved's map to a bright blue for me? If not, I'll make do with what I got.

Thanks

#20 ·

Thanks in advance. :)[/b]
Please verify the version numbers of MapSetToolKit and cGPSMapper you are using with your map. I just recently upgraded my registered copy of cGPSMapper to v93d and am now having the same problem when used with MapSetToolKit v1.30. I have reported the "bug" to cypherman (author of MapSetToolKit) and he is looking into it. My temporary workaround is to use an earlier version of MapSetToolKit or create the preview and installation files by running cGPSMapper from the command prompt.

#22 ·
Scott, did you add the 3 updated files that I've posted?

#24 ·
Hey Reved,
I recently updated my Mapsource (ver. 6.14.1). Prior to that, I had to totally reinstall Mapsource and all datum, and later, REVED102. When I attempt to launch Mapsource after the REVED102 install, I get this error:

There is a problem with the Product REVED102 installation.
Please re-install Product REVED102 and start Mapsource again.

I did uninstall and re-install REVED102 but, to no benefit. Have you run into this issue or heard of it?

Regards,

Andrew

#26 ·
Hey Reved,
I recently updated my Mapsource (ver. 6.14.1). Prior to that, I had to totally reinstall Mapsource and all datum, and later, REVED102. When I attempt to launch Mapsource after the REVED102 install, I get this error:

There is a problem with the Product REVED102 installation.
Please re-install Product REVED102 and start Mapsource again.

I did uninstall and re-install REVED102 but, to no benefit. Have you run into this issue or heard of it?

Regards,

Andrew
I Upgraded to 6.1.4 a couple of weeks ago and was forced to uninstall all the maps (Topo, MetroGuide...). It seems Garmin has made changes to ther progam. I need to see what has to b modified.

I just tried installing my 104 version into Mapsource 6.1.4 and it did not install. No errors, it just did not show in Mapsoures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.