Snowmobile World banner

550 RMKCarb

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  snoshoe82 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 RMK that's been having problems. I am a novice in troubleshooting. I got a new carb, a Mikuni VM34SS and it was too large. I notice on the specs that it needs a VM34SS SLIDE. Does this make a lot of difference as to why it was too big? Also how hard on a scale of one to ten how hard is it for a novice to find the reason for a gas leak?
:blush:

#2 ·
If you bought one that was not specifically made for your Polaris it could be different in physical size. It shouldn't be too hard to find a gas leak but on a sled that is 13 years old you can start by replacing all the fuel lines. Replacement fuel line is cheap.

#3 ·
Where have you found evidence of a gas leak? A common issue on older machines is the trap lines rotting and cracking. Replacing the line is about a $2 repair.

#4 ·
RMK carb problems

Thank you both. But another question. My rmk keeps flooding. The last time a friend checked it, and removed a speck that kept it from closing, now another says it needs to be replaced sight unseen. My question is, could it be the same problem? Can I get the floats replaced? Is this possible? Carbs are expensive, esp here in Alaska!

#5 ·
Flooding is commonly caused by bad needles and seats. They're roughly $20 each here in the lower 48, you need one per carb. It is possible that you have something causing the needle to not be able to seat correctly and close the fuel inlet, or they could just be worn and need to be replaced (quite possible at that age).

#6 ·
A novice can pull a carb easly just remember how you took it apart and how the lines and cables are routed. Diagrams help. Check the fuel filter as well could be letting dirt by and getting stuck in the valve, but at 13yrs Id say the rubber needle is the culpret probably hardend and ownt seat right.
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.