Snowmobile World banner

Best track options for 97 XLT SP?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  IndyOnPowder 
#1 ·
I am shopping for a new track for my XLT SP and I want to know what is the tallest track (lugs) that I can install on my sled and still not violate needed clearances. Most of my riding is on powder, but I do some trail riding too. I don't "need" a studded track, but I'll go either way on that. I want to install a new track without modifying the track or sled. The current track is studded and the sled has the tunnel wear strips installed. It looks like the original factory track.

My owner's manual says that track studs cannot by longer than 1 inch for sleds with a center cooler. The track dimensions listed in the manual are 121"x1.5" with a part number of 2871369. No, it doesn't say 121"x15" (length and width), so I'm wondering if the 1.5" is the max track lug height or a typo? If I install a 1.5" tall track, will I need to remove the tunnel wear strips or notch the track? It looks like the wear strips are installed above the track clips.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I think 1.5" would be the max size but you would have to remove the the tunnel wear strips. There is no tunnel coolers on your sled so you're good in that aspect. Do some measurements for clearance between the front of the tunnel and the track just to make sure the 1.5 would fit. If you swapped the 9 tooth drivers to 8 tooth then 1.5 would fit for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.