2002 500 xc sp overheating issues. - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > POLARIS

Old 03-10-2002, 01:35 PM   #1
tarscraper

Hello,

I have been having many overheating issues this year and a skidoo tech informed me that he has come across many of these 500 XC SP sleds with this issue. My dealer confirms this. There is a problem with a warped overfill bottle neck. This is keeping the pressure too low in the system. Needs to be 13psi. I have run with liquid cooled yamaha and acrtic cat sleds and I am the only one shutting down. I think we need to put the "heat" on polaris if others are seeing this let me know.

thanks
tarscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
paul yarek

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
Mileage: 2487 miles
Primary Sled: 2007 blizzard 600
Where I sled: southern ontario and wisconsin.

tarscraper,
*if my memory serves me right there is a recall on this sled for that. i will look and see.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
xcrtom

Try this web site. Robs site has a lot of info on 2002 Poo's in general and the overheating in peticular.
* *www.robertlyonsphotography.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom
xcrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #4
paul yarek

Location: L7 C2 oakland twp 44 King St N RR 4 Scotland N0E 1R0, southwest of brantford, southern ontario
Mileage: 2487 miles
Primary Sled: 2007 blizzard 600
Where I sled: southern ontario and wisconsin.

tarscraper,
*xcrtom is right but i go to the site through www.hardcoresledder.com
Old 03-10-2002, 06:38 PM   #5
xc 600

Primary Sled: 04 800 ProXR 151"
Where I sled: The stiks
Send a message via MSN to xc 600

My buddy has an 01 xc sp 500 and is having the same overheating problem. *His problem was just that the rad cap was not holding pressure and the sled was overheating. *Easy fix but took a little time to figure this out.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:57 PM   #6
palaris

Polaris will be sending letters to owners of 2002 model polaris xc's. My dealer called me 3-8-02 to ask me if I have experienced overheating trouble. I have not with my 02 600 but many people have with the 500/600/700/800 models. He also said polaris is sending all dealerships the parts to update. I understand it is an additional heat exchanger to be plumbed into the rear of the chassis, and will be performed by your dealership. I will wait for the notice and bring it in to have the update done regardless. You will hear from Polaris soon.
palaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:40 PM   #7
slarson

Where I sled: Aroostook County Maine

There are issues like the others have stated, and it is most prevalent on M-10 equipped sleds it seems. Dealers will be doing a few things, An add on heat exchanger, longer snowflaf to keep the dust on the exchangers, new coolant bottle, and TPS re-adjust to approximately 3.75 volts. I read on another forum about someone who had troubles all winter, they did all the above items, and in 1200 miles of riding no more problems.
slarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:50 PM   #8
tarscraper

Thumbs up

Thanks to all who responded.... all great helpful information. I feel a little better about the $$$$ I spent on this machine now!!

tom
tarscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement