71 Chaparral 400 Firebird - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING EXTRAS! > VINTAGE SLEDS

Old 12-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Brother D

Primary Sled: 2009 MXZ X 800r
Where I sled: Northern Minnesota on Da Range

Guys, here's a stumper.... I just bought a 71 Chaparral 400 Firebird. Very nice shape. The guy drove it over to my grandma's. I was going to take it for a ride. I tried to start it and it was flooded out.

I bought it anyway but I put a stipulation on the sale, "if I can't get it going, I want my money back." The guy accepted, so I'm not out alot of money.

Anyway, I just put a complete rebuild kit in the carb. Walbro WD carb. Put everything in right(Checked it twice) And it still doesn't want to go. Even when I put Starting fluid (I know this is bad for it) through the carb, it still doesn't want to go. It has great spark.

I finally got it to go last night, with lots of starting fluid, but it was very boggy. Gas coming out through the carb. So I tried to adjust my jets, and it died out. Could not get it going again. I am really stumped on this one.

Also, when I got it going, I was driving around the yard and it was very hesitant- maybe like there was a lot of gas going to the cylinders, took awhile to get up to speed. But once I got to a certain spot, she jumped up in RPM's and would go. Get to a lower speed and it was boggy.

I remember the guy telling me that to start it, he would use a hose with a priming ball on it. Dip it into the gas tank, get some gas and dump it down the carb. Could it be that over time, he dumped a lot down the carb shute and there's a lot gas that's down in case???????????????

Could it be that???? Is there an engine drain plug located on these engines? Where are they usually located. This is a Chaparral motor.

I really need help on this one!!!!!!!
71 Ski Doo Olympique 299
72 Ski Doo Olympique 299
72 Ski Doo Olympique 399
73 Ski Doo Olympique 399- sold
73 Ski Doo TNT Silver Bullet
72 John Deere JDX4
71 Chaparral Firebird 440
72 Chaparral Firebird 400
72 Arctic Cat Panther 399
72 Arctic Cat Puma 399
72 Arctic Cat Cheetah 399