2002 Mxz Rear Suspension - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > SKI-DOO

Old 01-10-2004, 11:46 PM   #1
spinner

Where I sled: ny

HPG shocks.....mxz sport, sc10 111........i have the front shocks on 1, the center shock on 2, and the rear springs on the middle setting. sled rides very nice in the bumps till about 35. from 40 and up it'll bottom pretty easily.is the only way to fix this to crank up the rear springs? i have a good amount of sag right now, but the coupler is coupled when i sit on it, so i'm assuming i should crank the springs a little. will this screw anything else up? it handles well right now so i don't want to goof it up with the rear spring pre load. also i was wondering if i turn up the center shock if that will help with bottoming? thanks for any help!
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
revrnd
Super Moderator

Mileage: 4406 Miles
Primary Sled: 2007 Ski-doo MXZ 600SDI Black/Yellow
Where I sled: Paudash, TATA & Northern Corridor
Send a message via MSN to revrnd

Check this link about suspension setup:

Setting up Your Suspension
1981 Elan
2004 Chev K2500HD
1986 Chev Monte Carlo SS

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/distance.php

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/accomodations.php

Previous Sleds:
1983 Citation 3500
1985 Formula MX
1990 Mach 1
1995 MXZ 440
1998 MXZ 500
2001 MXZ 600
2004 Legend 600SDI
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:47 AM   #3
spinner

thanks,helps a little, sounds like it is in the rear springs, maybe shock revalving???
Old 01-11-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
SDRENE800RER

Primary Sled: SD MXZ Renegade 800 RER
Where I sled: New Hampshire or wherever there's snow

What do you weigh? If you are anywhere near 225 pounds or more then you will have to go up to the HD torsion springs. This will get your comfy ride back.

If you dont weigh anything near that, or are jumping the machine real high then revalving may be your best bet.

Do not be tempted to turn more preload into the center shock. Never go beyond #2 with it, your handling will go compleatly out to lunch. That shock/spring is primarily there to absourb impacts that the skid takes while riding and keep it running flat, while working together with the limit strap and coupler blocks.

As far as HD torsion springs or bumping up preload goes, generally you have to bump up the preload on the front springs as well to help keep the front/rear balance in check.

My 02 ZX chassis sled is the best handling, flatest cornering and most comfortable sled that Ive ever had. But it didnt come from the dealer that way and took the HD torsion springs, StudBoy front carbides and some fine tuning to get it that way.

Good luck
Todd

Sleddin' when cold!
Jeepin' when warm!

Is it cold enough yet?

Totally Kick Butt New Jeep Site..........Jeep Horizons.com
SDRENE800RER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
800 X

I ended up putting on the heavier spring's and revalving my rear shock on my sled and what a difference.I only weigh 225lbs,so that show's how soft they came from the factory to begin with and this is an X package.Not sure if your shock is rebuildable on the 02 sport,but you should have several choice's of stiffer spring's.Good Luck!
800 X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
spinner

thanks for the help... i weigh 200, so maybe i can get away with the stock srings on the stiffist setting for now... i'd like to leave the front on one which is where they are now, is this gonna make it handle bad? the front feels good, not too soft or stiff......can i just crank the rear springs and leave everything else and get the same handleing but less bottoming??? :slick:
Old 01-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
kielbasa

Where I sled: kettle moraine

cranking the preload on the rear torsion springs only makes the ride rougher at all speeds with very little improvement in bottoming.....I had the same problem with my '02 X......except I only weigh 170 pounds and I bottomed out every 30 seconds....I ended up getting the shocks revalved, still waiting for some snow so I can try it out....
kielbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
spinner

well, i'll try turning the pre load up for now, if that doesn't fix it i'll check into re valving the shocks as they are the re buildable ones...... thanks again. any more tips would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement