1980 Tx-c 340 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING SECTION > POLARIS

Old 10-11-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
WKinneIII

Primary Sled: 1996 Polaris Ultra SP 680
Where I sled: Michigan

Well as some of you may know, I have been lookin for a good cheap Polaris for my younger brother. I purchased and picked up a 1980 340 TX-C :hallo1: . Paid $350 for it, and it is in awefully good condition, no seat tears, no hood crack, track is better than my Ultra, paint looks great, guages all work, and with a shot of starting fluid it started first pull, and ran for a good 5 mins before stalling (old gas made it stall). Really the only thing wrong with this sled is it is missing 2 decals on the hood, and the throttle lever is cracked (cheap fixes). I would say I stole this sled! My only question is, It looks like this sled is premix and not oil injected, so what mixture should I use on the gas/oil? If I am wrong and it is injected let me know, I didn't really look overly hard to see, since it started right up. Other than that, I am off to adjusting my signiture!
Thanx,
Wayne

PS. The little brother looked extremely pleased with this sled, now I have to get him on this Forum.
1967 Pontiac Tempest Custom 400cid (10:1 compression, Edelbrok Torker intake, 700 Holley Dbl Pumper, Crower Cam, TCI TH400 transmission, Hurst Ratchet Shifter, Hedman Headers)
Co-Founder of SledHedz
Successfully outrunning the light at the end of the tunnel.
WKinneIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
JosMN

Primary Sled: 03 PRO X 700
Where I sled: Minnesota
Send a message via MSN to JosMN

Yep, that TXC would be premix. I had an old 80' Polaris Galaxy, ran like a top for me till I was around 14, retired it with around 6000 miles.....thats a lot of broken skis I tell ya! If I remember right, the premix was mixed 50:1.
JosMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
WKinneIII

JosMN,
Thanx for the info, by chance do you know what the speed was like on it, I am kind of curious as to what it will hit when it is rapped out at top end.
Wayne
1967 Pontiac Tempest Custom 400cid (10:1 compression, Edelbrok Torker intake, 700 Holley Dbl Pumper, Crower Cam, TCI TH400 transmission, Hurst Ratchet Shifter, Hedman Headers)
Co-Founder of SledHedz
Old 10-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
JosMN

Depends all on your gearing. I would think that TXC could hit around 60, I really don't know enough about it? The old Galaxy would hit around 50-55 topped out, because it was geared for low end. It had pretty good snap for a 340. That was with a cleated track too. I had ridden a buddies "TX" 340 of the same year and if I remember right it would beat mine on top end.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
JosMN

By the way, after doing a little research, I don't see much difference from the TX and the TX-C. The TX-C had the molded track, while the TX had a cleated, and the TX was overall 3 inches longer. I think they made a TX 440 also? not sure what the TX-"C" means. Maybe cause the TX was free air and the TX-C is fan cooled?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
Riley

Where I sled: Anywhere there is snow

WKinneIII are you sure it is a 80? The TXC was their cross country race sled. If it's the sled I am thinking of it will top out around 70 mph. Sounds like you picked up a pretty nice old sled. Riley
Old 10-12-2004, 02:49 AM   #7
WKinneIII

I have looked at the 1980 mbrochure and it is a direct match, it is definately a 1980 try www.gooselakeauto.com that is where I got most my info from. The date code is 79 but I am told that means it is an 80. it has no cleats and is definately a TX-C I do beleive the C actually stands for classic, it is a free air. 70 MPH is perfect for now.
Thanx,
Wayne
Co-Founder of SledHedz
Old 10-12-2004, 02:56 AM   #8
The Hossman

Primary Sled: 2001 Yamaha SRX
Where I sled: South Central Ontario

What, no pics??

C'mon Wayne, don't keep us in suspense. I love old machines - love seeing them being ridden even more. I've often thought of picking up a classis and taking her out for the odd weekend ride with my buddies.... Of course, they may not appreciate waiting for me at every stop sign, or the trail-side wrenching.... but at least I'd be having fun.

Looking for Yamaha parts online?? Click HERE
The Hossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:00 AM   #9
WKinneIII

Yeah no pics, no digital camera, maybe I will con a friend, then try to figure out how to post. By the way what on earth did you do to become a moderator Hoss?!?!!?!
Wayne
Co-Founder of SledHedz
Old 10-12-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
The Hossman

Primary Sled: 2001 Yamaha SRX
Where I sled: South Central Ontario

Quote:
Originally posted by WKinneIII@Oct 12 2004, 02:08 AM
...By the way what on earth did you do to become a moderator Hoss?!?!!?!....
[snapback]352155[/snapback]
They've lowered the entrance requirements for SW staff to an all-time low.....

I think the fact that it's 2:20AM, and the rest of the sane world is sleeping , but The Hossman's on duty has something to do with it..... The new guy always get stuck with the night shift....

Looking for Yamaha parts online?? Click HERE
The Hossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement