Clutch Removal 77 Everest 340 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum > SNOWMOBILING EXTRAS! > VINTAGE SLEDS

Old 10-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
bluestream

Mileage: 700
Primary Sled: 97 Grand Touring 700
Where I sled: Parry Sound

I am trying to get off the clutch on my 77 Everest 340. I can remove the main bolt, but the rest of the clutch seems to be stuck on the shaft. I was expecting the govenor cup, and the outer half to come right off when the bolt is removed. Do I need a clutch puller to get any part of the clutch off? Any other way to get the thing off?
2002 Artic Cat Panther 570
bluestream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
troy

Primary Sled: 1980 skidoo citation
Where I sled: the u.p of michigan

youre going to have to use a puller. does the clutch have an orange plate on it, surrounding the hole where the main bolt came out? if you cant fit the clutch puller all the way down the hole, you have to pull that off too. me and my dad used a little generic puller. you might have to tap holes for it.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:01 AM   #3
GoNe_aWoL

Primary Sled: 89 Wildcat 650, FINALLY [I hope]
Send a message via AIM to GoNe_aWoL Send a message via Yahoo to GoNe_aWoL

I have a 74 everest that I need to check out, I haven't had the clutch off yet. To get the hex clutch off my Cats, I took a 1/2" NF bolt, cut the head off to the right length, cut a slot in it to use a screwdriver in, threaded that into the crank (1/2"+) and threaded a 9/16" NF bolt into the threads in the clutch to push against it all. Everything is different, I'd guess Doo's are metric, but I've used 9/16", 5/8", 3/4", and 7/8" to pull AC clutches off.
GoNe_aWoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Vintage Elan Guy

Where I sled: Bruce County and New Dundee area

First thing you need to do is determine if it is a taper shaft or a threaded shaft. If the bolt that holds the clucth on is long, you have a tapered shaft. If the bolt is short, you have a threaded shaft.
If it is tapered, buy the correct puller. If it is threaded, you can take a piece of black pipe that fits over the bare shaft of the clutch, drill a hole through the pipe and put a bolt through the pipe and shaft and a nut on the other end and snug it up. If it is a threaded shaft, the hole will already be in the clutch shaft. Use a pipe wrench of size on the piece of black pipe and with rope in the PTO cylinder to keep it from turning, apply some force to unscrew the clutch. It is a RH thread so lefty loosey and righty tighty is the order of the day.
In either case, it may take a shock to break it loose. Do not use heat unless a very last resort as you may damage the seal on the crank. Be carefull not to apply force at an odd angle so as not to bend anything either.

Good Luck!
Vintage Elan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
bluestream

Thanks, it is a long bolt that holds on the clutch. In fact it is so long that it hits the side belly pan and will not come all the way out. The only way I can think of to get this bolt out is to cut a hole in the belly pan, or lift out the engine. I was hoping the cup and outer half would just come loose so the the bolt would also come off with the rest of the parts. I am only trying to remove the Governor cup and outer half, not the inner half. I am not sure how even a puller will help as I can't get the bolt to come out of the center without hitting the pan. Any ideas?

Dave
Old 10-28-2004, 07:33 AM   #6
Vintage Elan Guy

Where I sled: Bruce County and New Dundee area

Hi Dave:
Sorry, I misunderstod what you were trying to do. The govener cup and the sliding half should just slide off when the bolt is out. The shaft is a straight square and there is a bushing in the sliding half. The only thing I can think of that may have happened is something has worn a groove into the shaft and somehow it is now sticking. Can you slide the outer half in? The cup is only held agains the end of the shaft by the long bolt. There is a 1/8", or so, deep socket inthe cup that the shafdt fits into but it should just come off.

Here is a link to a parts break down for the clutch. Hope it helps.
Rob.

77 Clutch
Vintage Elan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #7
bluestream

Thanks Rob, I got it off. After loosening the bolt, I tapped the governor cup with a rubber hammer, and it began moving a bit from side to side. To get it off I had to pry with a 2x4 between the inner and outer half, and with some gentle pressure the whole thing popped right off. (The newer models have two threaded holes on the governor cup to screw in two bolts to get the cup to come off.) I tried to removed the main bolt, and it still hit the side of the pan. (a hole with rubber plug would be ideal here) I started to remove the bumper, but then used the 2x4 to pry out on the side and was able to move it enough to get the bolt to come out of the square shaft, The sliding half still won't come off as it hits the ski leg when I go to remove it. I will have to drop out the ski leg, or lift up to motor to get it to come right off. It would appear that the Duralon bushing has some wear and that is what I will need to get replaced. Does anyone know if these bushings are still available? I would think that they would be a popular item as they were used in many Ski-Doo clutches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement